IMAGINE: Steve saving you

| IMAGINE for @Vanessastegall |

     You swim through the dark waters, your tail gracefully slashing through the water, propelling you forward. You're a mermaid, sent to protect the waters of Themyscira. You've never had to, until yesterday when an American pilot and German troops broke through the invisible barrier separating Themyscira from the outside world. You did your duty as best as you could to drown the soldiers before they killed any of your Amazonian sisters.

      Now, on high alert, you swim at nighttime, prepared to take down any army who threatens Themyscira again.

     You swim close to the shore and then suddenly stop. You falter and flick your tail. You're stuck. You slash it through the waters, flailing. You bend back and see your tail is caught in a net that has rounded itself around your tail. You cry out in frustration and try to rip it off of your tail frantically. It only becomes more tight. You've never been caught before. You try for a few more minutes and you're still caught.

     You submerge your head from the water and look around for one of the Amazons. You can't see anyone. "Help! Somebody help me!" You cry. No one. You grunt in frustration. "Help!" You scream as loud as you can, trying to keep yourself afloat. Out of your peripheral vision you see someone bolting towards you. "Sister! Help me!" You plead. As the figure gets closer, you realize it's not one of your sister. It's a man. Your eyes widen in horror. The American pilot. He splashes into the water.

     "Stay calm, stay calm. I'm getting to get you out of here." He says quickly, swimming towards you. You swim backwards, panic washing through you. You're never supposed to show yourself to anyone but the Amazons.

     "No, no, don't swim backwards, don't swim backwards." He says, reaching a hand out. You know you need his help. You tentatively reach your hand out to grab his.

     "What are you swimming out here so late for anyways?" He asks, wrapping an arm around you.

     You swallow. "I-I'm not an Amazon. I'm...a mermaid."

     The pilot nearly falters. "Wh-what?" He stammers.

     "Please, I'm a mermaid and my tail is caught in a net." You choke out. It takes the pilot a second or two to regain himself and take action. He whips a knife out of his jacket and dives down into the water. You feel him touch your tail and the wrench his hand away. He pops his head up, staring at you in shock.

     "You weren't kidding." He whispers.

     "No. Now please cut my tail free!" You exclaim. He dives back down again, into the black waters. He feels down your tail and then clutches onto the net. You squeeze your eyes shut, just waiting for him to nick your tail. He doesn't. You sigh with relief as he swims to the top, breathless. Your tail is free.

     "Thank you." You breathe.

———

     Steve, the pilot who introduced himself as you both swam back to the shore, and you sit at the shoreline.

     "So you're a mermaid. A real life mermaid." He whispers.

     You smile and nod. "You don't have those where you come from?"

     He laughs softly and draws a line in the sand, shaking his head. "No, unfortunately not."

     You stare at him, the first male you've ever seen. He's handsomer than what you've expected of males. "And I'm sure, as you've already seen, you're the first male to ever come to Themyscira." You state.

      He smiles. "That feels a little weird."

     "Are all males like you?" You ask curiously.

     "Like what?"

     You gesture to him. "Dashing, brave, and all that." You say unabashedly.

     Steve laughs softly. "Uh, no, not really."

     "Well that is truly unfortunate." You frown.

     "Are all mermaids like you?"

     "Like what?" You smile mischievously.

     He smiles. "Beautiful and charming."

     You blush, your heart hammering in your chest. "I would like to say yes, but I do not know. I am the only mermaid in Themyscira."

     He frowns. "Oh, I'm sorry. That must get terribly lonely."

     You nod sadly. "It does. I do not want to complain though. I've been blessed by Zeus. He sent me here to protect Themyscira and the Amazons."

     "Ah, Zeus...right. The god of all gods." Steve says as if he doesn't believe you.

     "You don't believe me?"

     "Well, I mean..." He trails off.

     You lift your tail a little out of the water. "You are talking to a mermaid after all." You taunt.

     Steve smiles at you. "Point taken."

     "Are you to stay in Themyscira forever?" You ask wistfully.

     "Oh, no, no, no. I must get back."

     Your heart cracks. "Oh." You sigh. "I wish I could go with you." You say before you can stop yourself. Your eyes widen slightly.

     "You can if you want. Diana is coming with me."

     "She is?" You ask in surprise.

     Steve nods. "Yes, she is. You can come with us too. You can swim beside the boat. Experience life outside of..." He trails off.

     "Themyscira." You finish for him.

     "Yeah, yeah, that's right."

     "I-I would love to, but...." You sigh and shake your head. "Once I leave Themyscira, I can never come back. This is my home. This-this place is my duty. I was made to protect it. If I left....it'd be for nothing." You explain. Steve nods in understanding.

     "Steve! Steve!" Diana whispers harshly from somewhere in the shadows.

    "You better go. She's looking for you." You tell Steve.

    "It was nice meeting you, Y/N." He whispers.

     "You too. Thank you for saving me." You whisper back. Before he can stand up, you grab his hand and pull yourself close to him to kiss his cheek. "For luck." You whisper with tears in your eyes.

     He smiles at you. "Thank you, Y/N. It was nice to finally meet a mermaid. I will never forget you." He breathes.

     "Nor I you." You sigh. He squeezes your hand and then stands up. You watch him run off to Diana.

     You sigh sadly. "Goodbye, Steve." You whisper hoarsely, having a feeling you'll never see him again.
[THE END] I hope you liked it!