Stalker

I had, many times, thought of what it would be like to have someone in my life again. But I had never thought it would be like this. Never, had I expected him to come from the shadows. The darkness that follows me around. The mysterious blackness that always hung on my shoulders. I had never expected him to be like an old photo graph. One that you haven't thought of in years and can still remember it like it was yesterday. All yellowed around the edges because you never took care of it the way you were supposed to. That was what he was like. He was someone from the dark parts of my mind, the past moments never forgotten, yet long gone. Different, almost a different color of personality. I didn't recognize him, until it was too late.

I was walking, as I usually do. No destination, no reason. Just walking. I'd walk for days, non stop. Because if I ever stopped, they would find me. They would come back. And I would never escape. As I walked, I had begun to wonder, would it really be that bad? To get caught? To finally get some rest? No. I have to do this, I have to keep walking. If I stop, everything I've built for myself, everything I've accomplished on my own would be for nothing. It would all vanish. All because I gave up. So I kept on walking.

I noticed, as I walked. There was another person here. With every fall of their step, a pitter patter, and every time their heart beat, I could feel the tiny vibration, slow and steady with experience. The sound of their breath, slight but still there. The sound of their jacket banging against their chest, in time with their step. I could smell their cologne, strong and vibrant. A stark contrast with the crisp and cool smell of the air.

Someone was following me. How long? How long had they been here? How could I have been so clumsy? I needed to get out of there.

With my hood over my head, and my headphones in my ears, not playing anything, just there. I looked quickly around. I knew this neighborhood. I had passed through here a long time ago. I stopped dead in my tracks. There, ahead of me, the sign. That sign. Where had I seen that?

(Flash back)
I looked behind me, on the way home. I was walking with my friends. It was pouring rain, all of us were soaked. Rain was dripping off of our clothes, sticking them to our skin. Laughing could be heard, from the people up ahead.

As I looked behind me I looked up and saw the sign. My last ever memory of this place. This place I had called home at some point.

I remember this place being the place I had decided to leave. The place I said goodbye to the town, and to the people in it.
(End flashback)

I turned around. He was right there. The edge of the town just down the street behind him. I knew him. But I was young when I left. My memory of this place drifting off into the wind. But as I looked up at him, into his dark grey eyes, I saw him clear as day. In memory and now. I remember everything I ever said to him, and everything he said to me. I remember the town, who my friends were. I remember my parents, and my sister. And I remembered why I left. Why I shouldn't be here. And yet here I am.

After I left, I tried very hard to stay away from here. Because I knew if I ever came back, I would never be able to leave again. But then why am I here? Why am I back? Did I bring myself here on purpose? Or was it because I had had enough of living on my own and wanted my life back? No, it couldn't be that. I know why I left, and I know why I shouldn't have come back. But now I'm here. I just hope I don't kill anyone.