Christmas Day Ch 31

Hermione's POV

After last night Draco insisted on being in my room. He fell asleep on the couch after he thought I fell asleep, but I couldn't sleep after the nightmare I just had. I didn't tell Draco, but it just wasn't Bellatrix torturing me. It was different. Draco tried to stop her, and she killed him. I've never had that nightmare before. It made me feel worse, then all the torture had felt. Thinking that Draco had been killed hurt more than anything. More than losing my parents, more than losing Ron. I still don't understand how the two of us have grown so close. He is my true love, my soul mate. I can tell. 

I start to get up. It is only 6 a.m., but I need to shower before I start the day, and I know I won't be going back to sleep. I try to be as quiet as possible because I don't want to wake Draco up. I stand up and tiptoe to the bathroom and close the door. I shower and dry my hair, get dressed, and put on some makeup. I look at a clock 7. Waking Draco up now wouldn't be that bad. I walk out of the bathroom, and he is sitting on the couch, reading one of my books. 

"Did I wake you? I'm sorry." 

"No, I got up and then heard the shower running. I didn't want to startle you." he smiled at me, "you look beautiful. Are you okay?" 

"I'm better now. The shower helped. Thank you for staying with me last night."

"Of course, I don't think I'll be able to leave you again after that. I can sleep here for the rest of the time. I hate that my family caused you so much pain." 

I can tell my smile faltered, and I can tell Draco noticed too. 

"Hermione, what is it. Tell me." he was pleading with me. 

I sat down and next to him and started to cry. "You were there too, in the dream, I mean." I started. 

"Hermione, you know I would never hurt you." he sounded crushed. 

"That's not it. You weren't hurting me. She was torturing me, and you tried to step in, and she killed you. She killed you, Draco. That's why I was screaming. She took you from me. That hurt more than anything else I've experienced. Thinking that I would never see you or talk to you or get to be held in your arms again broke my heart." I was speaking in a whisper by the end. He took my chin and lifted it, so our eyes met. 

"I'm never going to leave you, Hermione. I will stand by your side as long as you want me too. I'll protect you and care for you and love you. She isn't going to hurt you or me. No one is. I love you too much." he sounded so strong and sincere. It made me smile. 

"I love you too, Draco. Would you like to go downstairs? And have breakfast. "

"I would like that. Then after would you like your present? "

"Yes," I was happier. Maybe this Christmas would turn out okay.

After breakfast

Dracos POV

"Are you two ready to open gifts? I was so excited to give Hermione her gift. I didn't want to wait any longer.

"He never was good at waiting, Hermione." my mom was talking to her in the kitchen still. Hermione giggled, which made me smile. They came walking in. We all sat around the tree. I gave my mother her gift. It was a photo album of the two of us and some of Hermione and me. I knew she would like it. When he lived here, he destroyed all of the family photos, but I had managed to save some.

She started to tear up. "Thank you, Draco. This is amazing." my mother held it close to her chest.

"Your welcome, Mother." I smiled at her. I loved my mom. She kept me safe through everything.
Hermione looked at me and smiled before handing one to my mother too. I looked at her, shocked. I didn't think she was going to give her anything. It wasn't necessary. But truthfully, it made me happy that they got along.

"I didn't quite know when to get you, but I think you will like it." She sounded nervous.
My mother unwrapped the paper with great care and smiled when she opened the little box. It was a necklace with a heart on it.

"It's a locket."

My mother opened it, and her smile widened. She looked at Hermione with wide eyes.
"However, did you get all of these photos, dear?"

"Well, McGonagall helped me a little. I thought you might like to see your son more than just during the holidays. It will change every hour, or you can change it if you like."

"What is it?" I ask.

"It is pictures of you from school, from first year." my mother said to me in awe.

"Since first year, how did you do that, Hermione?"

"I'm resourceful, Draco I thought you knew that," she said with a little laugh.
She squeezed my hand and smiled. I just looked at her with admiration. She's perfect.
My mother hands Hermione a box and smiles. She opens it and takes it out. It's a black floor-length gown with beading in the front and a low dip in the back.

"I thought that maybe you could wear it to the New Year's Ball that I throw every year."

"It's beautiful. I would love to wear it. I didn't know you threw a ball."

"Oh yes, I even started talking to Andromeda again, and she is going to come. Draco invited some of his friends, and you can invite some as well if you would like."

"I would love to, Cissy, that sounds wonderful. Thank you so much. I love it."
I couldn't believe how well the two women I loved above all else were getting along. My mother gave me a few gifts, and then all that was left were the two gifts that Hermione and I had gotten for one another.
Hermione handed me a small box, and I took off the paper and opened it. Inside there were cufflinks that had the Malfoy crest that was green in the middle. They were amazing. I looked up and smiled at her showing them to mother.

"I love them, Hermione. Thank you."

I leaned over and kissed her cheek. I handed her her gift.
"I hope you like it," I said to her nervously.

She unwrapped and opened the box. When she did, she let out a gasp. She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

Inside was a bracelet that had a green emerald snake and red ruby and gold plated lioness entangled together. Inside were the words "Forever yours DM."

"It's a beautiful Draco. I love it." she looked so happy. That made me even happier. I leaned in a gave her a proper kiss this time and then got up and hugged my mother.

"I love you, Mother."

She whispered in my ear, "I love you, Draco, and I love her too. The ring is in your room whenever you are ready."

I looked at her and thanked her with my eyes and a smile. This was by far the best Christmas I had ever had.