Prologue

"She's beautiful, Caroline," Lin smiled as he looked at his friend holding her new daughter, Scarlett.
"Yeah," She smiled fondly at her small, sleeping face.
She was 17 and a mother. The father was out of the picture and Lin was the only person by her side. Even her parents abandoned her.
"You be sure and rest now, okay? That was a hard labor." He said as he kissed her knuckles.
She chuckled and looked up at him, seriousness on her eyes. Lin was fresh out of college and making his own way.
"Lin...." Caroline sighed. "I know this is a lot to ask for, but... I want you to be in custody of her... I looked into it and it's only if something happens to me and I'm still not married." She said softly. "You're the only one I can turn to and I trust you with all my heart to take good care of her if something does happen."
Lin was taken aback. He thought for a long time.
"Okay..." He said with a smile.
Little did he know that she would marry the man that impregnated her in the first place and that she would die of breast cancer when her little girl was 4. The loving father turned into a monster because alcohol came into the picture.
Little did he know that the word, "okay," would be an agreement to be a life saver to the innocent girl in Caroline's arms. But he wouldn't know about her death, or where her daughter was because life does that. You move to greener grasses and your close friends become memories of getting a bottle of pop at 1:00 AM.
Little did he know that the little girl would see more than any person should