one

O N E

Yraqia,
2018

★ ★ ★

TREASON TO THE KING - Law 25 of 100 - Sub Law of TREASON TO THE KINGDOM (1797)

Should there be a suspicion of treason to the King within the palace boundries -- the complainant(s) must declare the phrase 'treason, treason, treason.' The complainant(s) must have a witness present to corroborate their claim. The King and his officiants are required to abandon all duties and attend the matter at hand.

If treason is falsely called -- the complainant(s) responsible for the false claim must face capital punishment.

★ ★ ★

Nura's favourite time of day was dusk.

She adored the warmth that still lingered in the atmosphere without the presence of the harsh sun, embracing her skin like a gentle lover.

Dusk in the desert was always gorgeous -- the skies were always so clear and so dark that one could see every single star in the sky without any hinderance.

That quiet evening, Nura was out on the balcony of her favourite place in the kingdom -- a little room located in the North wing. She had a lot on her mind and the serene view always helped her to order her thoughts.

As a child, she had remembered the countless stories her grandmother used to tell her about the stars. According to her, the stars were fallen kings -- watching over all of them.

She knew it was wishful thinking, but she sometimes wondered if the notion was true -- and if her father was watching over her. Would he be proud of her? Or would he be disappointed that his beloved kingdom was in the arms of his daughter? Someone he had always seen as a woman before his child.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of one of the heavy chairs being scraped across the floor and coming to a stop next to her. A quick look over her shoulder confirmed her suspicions.

"I knew I'd find you here."

Nura shrugged her shoulders, "I am very predictable."

Memukan exhaled loudly as he sat on the heavy-marbled chair. His bones cried out in relief after a long day of strenuous activity.

For a while, he simply gazed at the stars with Nura. They'd known each other long enough to enjoy the beauty of silence. He himself didn't like the warmth that clung to his body at night -- desert heat was something he had never quite enjoyed the way Nura did.

"What's troubling you today, Nura?" He finally asked. He turned his attention to his tired queen.

"Everything, Memukan." Nura paused, "I wonder if I'm doing enough for this kingdom, for my people. I wonder if I'm truly qualified for all of this. I wonder if my father would be proud."

"Even if the late king isn't proud of you-- you have done a stellar job, Nura," Memukan replied.

Nura sighed in despair, not really sure if Memukan was trying to fill her with false confidence or if he truly meant what he was saying.