Chapter 3: Helpless

Angelica was getting annoyed.

She'd been trying to talk to her sister, Eliza, for ten minutes . All she got were one-word responses as the girl in the teal dress stared off into space.

Waving her hand in front of her sister's eyes and snapping her fingers, she called out her name. "Eliza! Answer me!"

The second oldest sister quickly blinked and looked up at her sister. Angelica peered down at the girl, asking why she had been so out of it.

"Angelica, just look at that man!" Eliza whispered as she pointed at a slim man with his dark hair tied back into a ponytail. She smiled lovingly at him, causing her sister to chuckle slightly and go to find the object of her sister's desires.

As Eliza was waiting for her older sister to bring the man over, she looked over at (Y/N). The girl was frowning, watching intently as Angelica grabbed the skinny arm of the man she'd been watching all night. Eliza could identify that expression from miles away.

Her baby sister was heartbroken.

Her heart filling with sadness, Eliza pushed her dark hair behind her ear as Angelica tapped her on the shoulder. Smiling up at the man, she curtsied slightly. "Elizabeth Schuyler. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, sir." she said, trying to get the image of (Y/N)'s sorrow-filled eyes out of her mind.

The man grabbed her hand and smiled gently. "Alexander Hamilton." Glancing at Angelica, he said, "I don't mean to be rude, but why did you bring me here?"

With that single question, Eliza's mind tore in half. One part of her wanted to say how much she liked Alexander, already falling more in love as she watched the way he smiled. Still, the other part was pulling her; pulling her towards (Y/N). Half of her was aching to see her little sister's pouting lip become a smile. She wanted her joy-filled heart to become the heart of the girl fidgeting with the trim on her lavender dress, looking down in hopelessness.

Her two sides were playing tug-o-war in her mind, pulling so hard they would rip the rope. She could almost feel the desperation of her heart fighting with her conscience, and she was scared of the burden of deciding fate. She would choose who could be happy and who could wish for more. Her decision determined how each sister would live her life; in joy, or in longing.

She would have a hard time letting him go, for he was even more charming when engaged in conversation. The way he smiled, the way he spoke, even the way he took her hand made her heart melt. But not all things can be easy.

It was then that Eliza made her decision.

"I just wanted to introduce you to my sister. She's quite lovely," Eliza said, ignoring Angelica's confused stares and guiding Alexander to (Y/N).

As soon as he came over, (Y/N)'s eyes brightened. She smiled widely as soon as the man laid his eyes on her, and Eliza felt a bit better seeing her sister so happy.

(Y/N) tripped on her own feet slightly, earning a chuckle from Alexander. "(Y/N) Schuyler, it's a pleasure to meet you," she said, curtsying briefly.

"Schuyler?" Alexander asked, looking at Eliza after taking (Y/N)'s hand in his calloused palm.

"My sister." Eliza smiled.