Chapter 5: That Would Be Enough

General Washington,

I know that I am asking a big favor of you by writing this, but I am in even bigger need of my husband at this moment.

I have recently found out that I am pregnant, and I can't bear to think of how I would raise this child without Alexander alive. Please, send him home to me.

General, I'm pleading you. I can't raise a fatherless child.

Signed,
(Y/F/L). Hamilton

• • •

Mrs. Hamilton,

As much as I would like to do this for you, you're asking me to give up one of my most valuable men. I simply cannot fulfill your request.

I'll make sure that Alexander stays safe, but he wishes to be a commander so badly. I don't know if I can keep him from gaining a position as the head of a battalion much longer.

I'm sorry,
G. Washington

• • •

General Washington,

You are not sorry. Do not say that you are.

I find it quite rude that you don't care for the happiness of my child. If he must grow up without a father, I will publicly humiliate your "sorry" self before you get the chance to express your regret.

Of course, a way of keeping that from happening is to send my husband home, therefore ensuring that he stays alive. It seems like a perfect solution to me.

I don't think I can say that everyone is as bright as me, however.

Signed,
(Y/F/L). Hamilton

• • •

(Y/N) never got a response. She wondered if the letter had even got to the General; she'd be sad if it hadn't. Or perhaps he found her response too rude. If he did...

She wouldn't care. In other words, f*ck him.

What she did care about, however, was the growing baby bump on her stomach while her husband was off at war. One of (Y/N)'s close friends had been widowed, and she teared up just thinking about the possibility of Alexander dying.

She'd been sitting in her parlor for days now. She'd gone through six books, fifteen cups of tea, and two dresses. She admitted that she was bored. She hated sitting alone in her lonely home.

This wasn't the ideal situation for her.

(Y/N) sighed as she finished up the chapter that she was on. She closed the book, sipping more of her tea.

She sat there for a while, lost in her thoughts. They all eventually came back to Alexander.

After she had finished her tea, she went to go put her cup in the kitchen to be cleaned. (Y/N) set her cup on the counter by the other dirty dishes and frowned. She was still worried about her husband.

That was when heard a knock at the door. Her eyes widened slightly.

"One minute!" she called. (Y/N) was curious, as she always was when someone came to the door, but more so concerned at that moment. What if they came to tell her that Alexander was...

She opened the door, smoothing her dress out.

"Hel- Alexander!" She looked up to see her husband waiting to come inside.

Alexander smiled brightly. Without saying a word, he brought the girl into a hug, just as happy to see her as she was to see him. They stood there, holding each other for several minutes, with (Y/N) smiling into his shoulder and Alexander stroking her hair and both of them relishing the perfect moment.