WAIT, WHAT? (FORESHADOWING)

Foreshadowing, subtly telling the audience about the solution to a future problem, is used in practically any novel. You can do it too! The trick is not to be obvious. It's harder than it sounds.

Good foreshadowing can be seen in the Harry Potter books. In the first book, at the very start, Harry talks with a snake he sees on a visit to the zoo. This event doesn't stand out to us as readers, as Harry has been doing magical things like regrowing his hair the morning after it's cut. It is also overshadowed by Harry making the glass caging the snake disappear, allowing the snake to run free. This moment, however, pays off in the second book, when it is revealed that Harry is a Parselmouth, a special kind of wizard that can talk to snakes, and he uses this ability to help him defeat the Basilisk. The reveal of this power does not feel contrived, or come out of nowhere: we know that Harry can talk to snakes, we've seen it before.This is also a great example of foreshadowing because the fact Harry is a Parselmouth is in itself foreshadowing of the connection between Harry and Voldemort, an evil wizard who is also the only other alive Parselmouth in the Wizarding World. JK Rowling did a great job foreshadowing this connection, and reminding the audience of it through moments and revelations about the similarities between the two wizards.

So why does this foreshadowing work so well? The first reason is that it is disguised. The scene where Harry talks to a snake is among several other scenes where magical things happen to Harry: it's point, to the reader, seems to be to show that Harry is magical, not to show that he has a snake-talking power that is connected to Voldemort. It's real purpose is to do both, but that is not what it seems like. The foreshadowing also is contained: no loose threads appear to have been left hanging. Harry is a Parselmouth: this power is useful to him because he uses it to defeat the Basilisk. We do not, as readers, expect more from the power. It has been used by the protagonist to great effect. This hides the foreshadowing, making the Parselmouth arc seem complete and disguising the loose ends.

But when it is revealed that Harry inherited several magical powers from Voldemort, the reader's mind jumps back to the 'evil' snake-talking power that Harry has, and uses throughout the series. The foreshadowing is fulfilled, and the reveal doesn't seem forced.

That's good foreshadowing. Disguised, but clear enough that the reader remembers it. Of course, there will always be a few readers who spot the clues. But you'll surprise most of them, and that's what counts.