Chapter 1

13 years later

Finally, I Emmaline O'Dare was waking up on my last Monday morning of my High School career. I felt as though my senior year flew by. But the best part about today is that I'm 18.

My best friend Delaney, basically tackled me in bed, crushing me in a bear hug. "Guess what, Em?" Delaney practically screamed. Not wanting to get up, I covered face with the mint green comforter. "What Delaney?" I said sounding not too enthused. "It's your birthday! You're finally 18, Em." Delaney said with a grin. Pushing Delaney off of me, I got out of bed and started to pull out some clothes from my dresser.

 Ignoring my crazy best friend, I headed to the bathroom with clean clothes. I strip off my pajamas and throw them into my laundry basket. I got in the shower turning the water on warm. When I was clean, I got out, dried off, and put my clothes on, which included a plain peach colored t-shirt and a pair of light blue jeans. Which I looked kinda cute in.

   I dried my hair with the towel. I really wasn't on for makeup, I mean I could do with just a little of eyeliner and mascara. I definitely wasn't like Delaney, who loved to used all 50 of her Sephora products. After I was done applying eyeliner and mascara, I checked myself in the mirror. I've always wondered if my parents would have been proud of what I have become. 

  I lost them when I was 5, they died saving me from our burning house. I remembered very little of my parents, but of what I did, I knew that they were happy. When they died I was placed into foster care until age 10, that's when Delaney's parents adopted me. The Lavette's were my saving grace. They treated me as their own and there's nothing better than having a sleepover with your best friend for 8 years.    

I left the bathroom, feeling satisfied with my look for today. Seeing that my room was now free of Delaney, I grabbed her bag and headed downstairs. I could smell the delicious bacon that had just been cooked in the air. I walked into the kitchen seeing Mrs. Lavette, Delaney's mom, lighting a candle that was in a vanilla cupcake. When it was lit, she placed it on the table. In seeing me, Mrs. lavette started to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me. Geez, how did I get so lucky to have her.

"Thanks Mom." I said blowing out the candle and placing it in the sink to cool. I grabbed my cupcake and headed out the front door to my blue Jeep. It was old but she still gets around good.  I got in and headed out since Delaney drove herself because she had to stay after school today. 

When I got to Bridge Valley High School,  I parked her car in my normal spot and headed to first period. 

 When I got into English class I was greeted by the not so delightful teacher Ms. Thomson who is really only 7 years older than me . Ms. Thomson obviously thought that some of her male students were hot, which was illegal and gross. I hate her so much, ugh, I hope she gets fired.  I ignored her and took my seat in the back of class and watched the students slowly filter in. As soon as Lyle Reston, my other best friend, walked in my joyful mood is restored.Lets just say I'm really good at making friends.  He is one of the hottest guys in school with his blonde curls, athletically toned body, and his deep blue eyes. 

Lyle sees me and walks to the empty seat to the right of mine, but before he can sit down he is attacked by Jazz. Jazz Moulder is your average mean girl and she has always had the hots for Lyle. Jazz could always get the guy she wanted by simply batting her lashes or flipping her bouncy brown wavy hair. 

Lyle gives me an apologetic look as he is dragged to the other side of the room to sit with Jazz and her mindless followers. 

I rolled my eyes at him and hid my emotions with a forced smile. God, why did it bother me so much. It's not like Lyle even thinks of me that way.  My mood is back to being irrationally pissed for no apparent reason. Thanks for the happy birthday Lyle,  I mentally flip him and Jazz off. Ugh, the bell hasn't even rung and I'm done with school.

Class starts and Ms. Thomson is rambling on about some stupid poem project that we have to do this week. My eyes drift to Jazz who is drooling over Lyle, who is clearly enjoying himself. Ugh, I turn my attention back to Ms. Bobblehead upfront who is now silent and staring at someone. 

When I look at who she is staring at, my jaw practically drops. I don't even know how to describe him. His hair is a luscious pitch black color that is parted to the side, his eyes are a light sky blue, his chiseled jaw. He is perfection, his body is toned and muscled in all the right places, he puts Lyle to shame. His grey t-shirt clings to his body and his dark blue jeans sculpt his boy. I swear this boy could be an angel. 

His sky blue eyes find mine, I have to look away his gaze is so intense. Ms. Thomson must have stopped drooling for a minute because she started to introduce him.

" So, um, today, we have a new student" Ms. bobblehead announces the obvious to the class. "This is-" 

"Ash" says the smooth voice that belongs to the smoking hot guy.

I look at Ash and to my surprise he is still staring at me. Without taking his sky blue eyes off of  me he walks towards the back of the class. I pray to god that he doesn't sit next to me because lord knows that I won't be able to help myself from staring. 

All of a sudden, Jazz's voice breaks our gaze. 

"There's an empty seat over here" she says pulling Lyle out  of his seat. 

"No thanks, I can smell your desperation from here" Ash says looking back at me.

I couldn't stop myself from laughing. I was laughing so hard, there were tears in my eyes. This act got me three death glares from Jazz and her two barbie doll followers. 

I get myself under control as Ash sits down next to me. I feel uncomfortable with his gaze still on me. I try to distract myself by focusing my attention back to Ms. Bobblehead. 

"Now, the project is due this Wednesday, you have to create a poem of any type. This project is to be completed with partners. This means no groups of three and no working alone. You my start" Ms. Bobblehead states. I look at Lyle to see that Jazz has already made him her partner. Damn. I look around for anyone that I would be willing to work with when Ash breaks through my thoughts.

"Well then, I'm Ash and it seems to me that we will have to partners since the desperate one has chosen your best friend." He says nonchalantly. 

I don't know if I should nervous or excited because I'm so distracted the way my body feels. My body feels like its tingling all over, almost like it's electrified.  I try to focus on the requirement list Ms. Bobblehead just handed us. I turn to look at him to share the paper with him. When meet his gaze, it feels like I just jumped into a pool of cold water. 

"I'm Em" I finally say with his eyes still piercing mine. 

"You don't look to good" Ash says not seeming to worried. He reaches over to grab the paper from my hand accidentally touching my hand in the process. I feel like I just stuck a fork in an electric socket. It doesn't hurt but I can feel the electricity pulse through my body. I guess my body couldn't handle it anymore because as the electricity intensified my vision started to blur and eventually fade out. 

"Dammit" Ash whispering to himself is the last thing I here before I finally slip away into the blackness of my unconsciousness.