Part 5

Previously:

As Kevin's tail lights disappeared, you tried to release the tension your body held.

You felt a hand against the small of your back and turned to see James beside you. Even the sight of him made you feel better.

"What does he have on you?" he asked quietly.

"What?" you questioned in shock.

"It's the only explanation. You're a strong, independent, successful business owner and an incredible mom to Caleb. The only reason that asshat would think he'd have a leg to stand on in court was if he was holding something over your head." He said it so matter-of-factly.

You were stunned, but sighed in surrender. "He is."

____________

Leading James by the hand, you walked him into the stables and closed the doors. He settled beside you on a blanket-covered bale of hay and waited patiently.

Taking a deep breath and lacing his fingers with your own, you began.

"Kevin and I...we started dating in high school. He was one of the popular kids and when he took an interest in me, I was flattered. I knew he was a bit of a bully but he claimed it was all in good fun and he toned it down around me. After being together a few months, I heard rumors that he was flirting with other girls, but I figured they were just jealous. I thought I was in love and what we had was special. Stupid, right?" you laughed with a sniffle.

James rubbed a gloved hand across your back in comfort, waiting.

"Near the end of our Senior year, I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified. Of course I wanted to marry and have kids eventually, but after college. This was...a shock. I told Kevin and he sort of retreated from me...said he needed some time to think. Despite what he says now, he knows he was the only one I had been with. The baby was definitely his, but it seemed it might not be what he wanted. So I started believing I would have to do this on my own, and you know, my mom was supportive. It's never the dream to have your teenage daughter get pregnant in high school, but she loves me and said she'd be there no matter what."

Taking a deep breath, you finally looked over at James who was taking in your every word, concern etched in his handsome face. He gave you a small smile, nodding for you to continue when ready.

You smiled back, squeezing his hand. "A few days after telling him, Kevin came to me and proposed out of nowhere. He even had a ring. Looking back, I now realize it was his parents who pushed him to 'do the proper thing' and marry me. I just thought we were going to be a family and that we could be happy together. And we were for a little while, I think. We married the Summer after graduation and Caleb was born that Fall. I was so in love with the little guy. He was born a little premature, though, and had a few health problems early on. Kevin had gone through training and became a Sheriff's deputy, so he had a steady job. I couldn't work with Caleb so sick and at the doctor's often. I helped out here at the stables when I could, though."

Letting your eyes close, your mind flitted through the memories, feeling the pain of it. "Kevin started to spend less time at home, claiming he had to work later because we needed the money. Even though Caleb's health did improve after figuring out his allergies and asthma treatments, medical bills were piling up. We were both stressed and I didn't know how to talk about it or how to reach him. Those last few years of our marriage were the hardest of my life. It all shattered when I found out he had been cheating on me. I overheard some talk at the grocery store and it all suddenly made sense."

You felt James stiffen beside you. Glancing his way, you saw he was clenching his jaw with nostrils flared. Lifting a hand to his cheek, you stroked it, stubble tickling your palm. He relaxed into your touch and took a deep breath, nodding. With a sad smile, you continued.