3. The Injury

After three days of travel with the water and food we collected before we left started to run out. That's when we noticed a small island in the distance. Zora speed up a larger smile grew on her face. "I know this place!"

We arrived and I got off her back gawking at the sights. No fences, no cages.... I'm really free. I couldn't contain my ever growing smile as I admired my surroundings. "Hey I'll be back, I have to find someone." Zora told me an turned to leave.

"Okay don't take to long." I smiled and waved to her. I then began to explore. I noticed animals and fish enjoying the beach sun. Shyly I made my way over to them, but was so busy looking at my new surroundings that I didn't notice I bumped into someone.

"Sorry I wasn't looking where I was going." I apologized, and looked up to see... a human. I paled and backed away from her, and that's when I noticed her green fish tail. I relax a bit but was still wary.

"Hello!" She greeted enthusiastically. "My names Marina what's yours!"

"... Lavender." I stuttered. "W-what a-are you exactly?"

She laughed, "have you never seen a mermaid before?"

"Uhh no, not really. I uh-"

"Oh my gosh what happened to your back!" She exclaimed and spun me around reveling my injury from the fence.

"oh, I forgot about that." It stopped bothering her for a while now that she was used to the pain, but she was pretty sure it was infected now, considering she is still covered in mud.

That's when a shadow loomed over me and I looked up in fear. It was a shark much bigger then Zora. He growled and grabbed me by my neck. This action caused me to cry out in pain as his fin was now pressed firmly against my infect wound reopening it. He must have felt or smelled my warm blood tricking out onto his hand/fin, cause he dropped me like hot coal.

The shark looked at his fin and then my back in panic and marina screamed. "Sharko! Quick get a med kit and a wet towel!" She rushed over to me and moved me onto my stomach.

When the great white returned she took the wet towel and began to clean the gash. I heard them both gasp in shock when the brown mud washed off revealing my pure white fur littered with black stripes. She then decided to clean off the rest of my fur, as Sharko provided her with a bucket of water. I felt her start to treat my wound and my mind went blank. "Almost done ok." Her voice was faint, and after everything my eyes began to fell heavy... I just wanted to sleep.