Part 5: Old News

I stare unflinching at the injured girl on the cot. "Who's she?" I ask in the calmest voice I can manage.

"Funny. I may have actually believed you if you hadn't just told my girl about your sister's nickname. It was also really great of you to confirm having the ferries, too. So, how about that deal?" Jed asks from behind me.

I can hear the condescension in his voice – along with his totally unnecessary claim regarding Nelly – and I turn to punch him in the face. At the last second, I think better of it and I put my hand through the wall, instead. Luckily, the material is relatively soft enough, crumbling beneath the pressure as my fist punches a hole into the void. Although my knuckles are bleeding, I don't feel any pain. The fury I'm projecting at myself for exposing my sister and the entire population of Vanguard to risk is far greater.

"I'll take that as a yes." He smirks before grabbing my elbow and leading me back to the other room. "Better make yourself comfortable. You'll be here for a while."

I knew that we couldn't leave until sundown, but I was hoping we'd get to hang out with some of the other survivors. I guess I was wrong.

"Can we at least get something to eat?" I yell after him, but he's closed the door and I'm not sure if he heard me.

Although he was wide awake just minutes earlier, Ray's not good company because he's out cold on one of the couches lining the back wall. They must have given him some sort of sedative for his injuries ,and I'm finally starting to regret refusing treatment for my own. I was hoping to use the opportunity of being alone with Nelly to get some information from her, but she cleverly turned my ploy against me. I really need to learn to keep my big mouth shut.

Because of my stupidity, I now need to focus on how to get Ellen out of here safely. The more I think about it, the bleaker things seem. Injured and unarmed, we don't have a shot against even two opponents. However, it's pretty apparent there must be more of them anyway. They wouldn't have asked for vessels that can carry up to a thousand people if they were alone. Plus, they wouldn't be providing electricity to an entire building as they are doing now.

I nervously pace the room, finally getting a better look at the rest of its contents. It was probably used as a lounge a while back because apart from several tables and a couch, there's also an ancient machine in the corner. The glass is broken, but besides a few torn wrappers, it's completely empty.

One thing that's definitely not empty is my bladder. A building like this must have some restrooms, but they won't do me any good if I can't get to them. I try the door anyway and I'm shocked that it's actually unlocked.

Peeking into the hallway, I see that it's deserted so I venture out. I quickly spot a 'men's room' sign a few doors down, and I take care of business first. In the process, I discover that the building has running water, too. That makes this set-up even more sophisticated, and I'm now very curious as to who all exactly call this place home.

The doors to the interior rooms are all unlocked, except of course the one with my sister and another leading to the stairwell. The elevator is also out of commission, meaning that I'm stuck here on the ground level.

The light stone floors and off-white walls give the space an almost clinical appearance, but the pragmatic furniture and occasional signage indicate an administrative purpose. In spite of me having virtually free roam of the place, I don't find anything interesting except confirmation that this facility used to be one of the centers for the US space program. Everything seems to be labeled with NASA and a cute little red and blue logo.