Prelude 3

It was thundering outside and the rain was betaing at the windows mercilessly. Lori was snuggled on the couch with a blanket and her dog Fido.

She had always hated thunderstorms. They were way too loud. And it upset her favorite dog Fido.
So she was settled on the couch reading a book as she tried forget the science homework festering in her backpack. God 5th grade was a hassle.

She was contemplating trying to get Fido to "eat" her homework when the door opened and her dad came in soaked head to toe, with Landon who was also soaked.
Naturally seeing Landon she perked up. But instantly deflated when she saw his his steady stream of tears and the purple bruises on his body. Not to mention the long gash on his right arm. She ran over to him, but her dad stepped in the way.

"Lori go upstairs please." His voice was hoarse and she could see his eyes were red

She looked to Landon as he didn't make any eye contact. She looked back to her dad who was urging her upstairs. She took a step back before planting her feet firmly.

"I want to be here for Landon." She gave off a very confident demeanor that her dad easily backed down too.

"Okay, but stay on the couch."

Lori looked to Landon who was no longer crying, but was staring at his shoes as if he wanted to disappear.

"Landon," Lori looked to him her voice and demeanor softening, "Landon come on."

She turned hoping he would follow. She heard the squeak of his shoes and let out a sigh of relief. They made it to the couch and both sat down. Landon's hair was plastered to his forehead, just like his clothes to his body.

She pursed her lips before talking, "Are you going to tell me what's going on?"

Landon looked at her his green eyes dull and the under coloring a purplish black.

"What do you think happened?" He asked his voice cracking

She smothed her hands over her jeans trying to not be inconsiderate, "Something bad."

Landon gave a sad smile as he looked at her, "Yeah something bad."

They sat there in silence as silence filled the air. Lori was wondering if she should say anything, but nothing seemed like it should be said. In fact it seem that Landon was okay with silence, so she was too.

Finally her mother appeared in front of them. Her forehead was creased with worry lines, but she had a smile on. A small one, but a smile no less.

"Landon we've got some good and bad news." Her mother started
Lori instantly felt her heart begin to pound. Good news was great, but the bad news part was very upsetting.

Her mother walked over to Landon and pulled him into a deep hug that she reserved for only serious things. Landon was sniffling and crying into her shirt as his words chocked out, "Did she make it?"

Lori's mother let out a few silent tears as she shook her head slowly, "No she didn't, not this time."
Landon went limp in her arms and she gave him a squeeze before pulling away, the smile was a bit bugger on her face and Lori was hopeful.

"Hey Champ look on the bright side of things, you get to stay with us and you an Lori can do lots of fun things."

Lori perked up and looked at Landon. He had a small smile as he looked at Lori. She gave him a thumbs up and he let out a small laugh.

Landon looked at Lori's mother, "I guess that wouldn't be too bad."

They all shared a hug and once again the rest was history.