17 : Rumble Fish

Billy Hargrove was defensive and cold while Prue Owens was sharp-tongued and closed-off for the rest of the study date, only discussing their presentation, nothing else remotely personal or casual. While she maintained an illusion of with disinterest and mild-boredom, she was fighting against the urge to stare at Billy Hargrove and the bluish veins that snaked around his exposed forearms. 

They were nearly back at the arcade when she broke her stubbornness and spoke to Billy Hargrove. "We need to organise a time to practice... I can start writing our speeches over the weekend. We could meet at my house sometime early next week...?" But then she would have to introduce Billy to her parents and have him in her house again. And the mere thought of that curled her stomach and she was reminded of The Incident of Halloween.

"My house is fine. Probably more convenient for you anyway. Doubt you wanna introduce me to your Mummy and Daddy," Billy replied, his voice turning hard with the truth. And Prue hated that his tone suggested that she believed she was superior to him; she didn't think that and hated that Billy might have thought that.

"It isn't that" Prue tried to explain, eyes focused on Billy driving. The sunlight streaming in through the windshield caught his dark blond curls.

"It's okay, Prue," he finished bluntly. She sighed gently, feeling deflated and regretting her decision to be cold and bitchy to him during the last half of their study date. However, she reminded herself that he was also acting like a cold prick too. And relationshipswhatever kindworked both ways. Billy slammed his brakes suddenly and Prue was served with a dose of slight whiplash as her seatbelt bit into the soft skin of her chest. She heaved the door open after unbuckling herself. Through the arcade door, she spotted Max and Lucas Sinclair talking and guessed that Grey hadn't worked up the courage to speak to Max again. Prue stepped out of the car, pulling her backpack out with her. "Well, guess I'll see you around then?"

"Whatever." He didn't look at her. She huffed out another sigh and slammed the car door shut, annoyance at Billy Hargrove sparking in her blood.

"Your step-brother's a real piece of work," Prue said to Max as she marched passed the young redhead. Max offered the older teenager an agreeing grimace, hurrying into the navy Camaro, almost looking guilty like she had been doing something Billy wouldn't like or approve of. She found Grey playing Dragon's Lair, moving up to the game's third-highest slot.

"You looked ticked off," he noted, stepping away from the flashing video game, eager to get back to Mission Strange.

"Some advice, never do an English presentation with an attractive and infuriating asshole, okay?" she informed her younger brother as they manoeuvred around children hyped up on sugar with abundances of free time.

"I'll try to remember that," he muttered, hurrying to keep up with Prue's longer and faster strides. "We still getting supplies for Mission Strange?"

"Damn straight we are!" she said while pushing open the Palace Arcade door and marching across the threshold with determination jolting in her bones.

   ◈ 

Hunting & Camping was littered with the toughest and roughest of all Hawkins' residents, each one having an outdoor hobby. Prue and Grey stood out, two youths gathering a whole range of supplies that may be needed for breaking into a laboratory. Prue moved down the aisle with a plastic basket, not all that positive on what they would need. Grey was like a child in a candy shop: gleeful and over-excited. He would pop up beside her every few minutes, dropping something new into the basket.

"Why would we need rope?" Prue asked, shifting the basket in her hands; it growing heavier with each passing moment.

"Do you wanna be that person that regrets not bringing rope?" he questioned bluntly, before skipping around her, slipping out of her sight. Prue was grabbing more hand-held flashlights when Grey dropped a slim and shining hunting knife into the basket.