Chapter 19: An Open Door

Marinette didn't want to go to school that day, but she knew if she didn't she'd end up drawing more attention to herself and her work load would double. So she hurried all the way passed the steps and through the doors with her eyes lowered.

She could feel people's eyes glance in her direction and her eyes burned with the effort it took not to cry. She shouldn't think about it, thinking only made it worse. She entered the classroom a few minutes before class started and sat down beside Alya.

Her best friend acknowledged her with a sad smile and then went back to sifting through various images and videos for something to post on the Ladyblog that week. She knew Marinette wouldn't want to talk and, thankfully, knew that pressing for information wasn't a good idea.

Doodling helped. A small section of her sketchbook held millions of small symbols and pictures of ladybugs and cats. They weren't very good; at least not as good as her designs, but they were a useful distraction and with every doodle she began to imitate the confidence of her superhero persona.

She was Ladybug. She was a symbol of hope and good fortune for the people of Paris. She was better than this, better than a lovesick fool.

Chat also tried. He was arrogant, somewhat self-centered and blindly followed his heart instead of his head, but it was what kept him loyal and she loved that about him. A part of her was afraid he wouldn't show up anymore, but she kept replaying his words from the night before. He wouldn't abandon her –he'd said as much.

"Um, Marinette –," Her hand slid across the page and a thick, ugly pencil line cut her drawing in half. She snapped her head to her right and saw Nathaniel standing there, wide-eyed with his sketchbook pressed shyly against his chest.

His face flushed brightly and he lowered his eyes to the floor. "I – I didn't mean to startle you or r –ruin your drawing, Marinette. I'm sorry."

Marinette sighed at the drawing and closed her book. "Don't worry about it, Nathaniel." She turned her body towards him, "What's up?"

"Well I..." His grip on the book tightened, "I saw what happened yesterday with..." his voice trailed off and Marinette felt as if she'd just been punched in the stomach. She felt Alya's hand rest supportively on her shoulder and clenched her fists on the table.

Crying wouldn't help. Crying would only make her weak. It made her vulnerable. She was Ladybug. Ladybug didn't cry. She forced a smile and shut her eyes –too afraid they'd well with tears if she saw the sympathy on his face. "What about it?" she rasped.

"Well I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk in the park with me this afternoon. Alya can come too." He inhaled deeply and Marinette felt something brushing against her forehead. She hesitantly looked up and saw him handing her a slip of paper.

She gently took it from him and smiled at it. It was a small drawing of the park. The details were vague, but the shapes were clear. Shadows followed the people as they walked and the people smiled brightly at one another. It looked so peaceful, so serene. Happy.

"I know how it feels to have your heart broken and I just w –wanted to say that...It doesn't hurt so much when you have people to take your mind off it."

Alya leaned closer to Marinette and grinned down at the picture. "Maybe he's right, Marinette. A little fresh air might make you feel better." The idea was tempting, more so than sitting alone in her room and crying in front of Adrien's posters. She still had to get rid of the schedule.

Marinette risked a glance at him and nodded, "All right. I'll bring some snacks from the bakery and we'll have a picnic."

Nathaniel's eyes brightened, "That sounds perfect, Marinette. We'll all meet at your house and walk together from there."