Chapter 16

It was over a week since the attack and three days since the last word had been sent from Asim. The view from the high temple to the road was etched in her mind so well from looking out, hoping for messengers, Persians and even Dastan to come riding to her. It was just another day and at first it was as if her mind was starting to play tricks in her as Persian banners was seen over the horizon. She called for Asoka and ran past her handmaidens.

The aged councilman was panting in keeping up and finally said, "Your highness, princesses glide. They glide they do not run for any reason what so ever!"

Tamina's feet slowed down for a second but once again picked up the pace and ran to the throne room. She paced while the message they carried was brought to her by Asoka. He walked in, shock written in his face and she feared the worse.

"Your highness...it is...it is great news, Princes Garsiv and Dastan ride to Alamut to call on you. They will reach by noon!"

Tamina could not fathom how this could happen, from great despair to great joy. Dastan, her Dastan is well and within her reach. It all seems surreal and yet destined.

The roads were cleared and the royal guard was called. People were assembled with stories of Prince Dastan and his bravery. Banquets were hurried, halls decorated and flower petals sold by basket to shower on the Persian.

It seemed like it was days wait to see Dastan and finally she heard the trumpets blare. She stood flanked by her councilmen and Asoka. The people cheered as the princes rode in horses. The banners came into view with his guards paving the way for Dastan and Garsiv. At his first sight, they looked at each other and Tamina felt a smile creep to her face. He was dressed in his battle gear, adorned with the breastplate given by her.

It is customary that the Princess stand at the entrance. Any royal would dismount, announce his credentials and walk up in glory to meet her. But this was different.

Before the parade reach the steps, Dastan almost jumped off the horse and made a run up the stairs skipping steps along the way and forcing a laugh from Garsiv. Tamina instinctively stepped forward and as he reached the final step they lunched forward and locked in embrace. The whole area fell to silence in confusion of why their princess was in the arms of the Prince of Persia. It took a second and the whole city erupted in cheers.

"I thought I had lost you," Tamina whispered to his ear.

"You would not get rid of me so easily Princess," he laughed.

As they separated, Garsiv reached Tamina and bowed. Tamina extended her hand to him to hold, "I cannot thank you prince Garsiv for what you have done for us, for my people, for Dastan and me."

He laughed, "that is what families do. Your gratitude is not required. I bring you the heads of Koshkhan and Zolm," Garsiv exclaimed. Tamina presumed it was a figure of speech until two platters were placed at her feet.

"er...Gratitude Prince Garsiv but I will take your word for it."

Dastan was at this time holding his chest presumably in pain. "He woke up from his lazy slumber and wanted to see you first even before he fully recovered, leaving Tus and father at his bedside. We had to force him to a bath," Garsiv said.

"You need to rest."

"No...I need to speak to your people; may I have your blessings?" He asked and Tamina nodded in agreement.

"People of Alamut, my friends. Know that you always have an ally in Persia. Your walls will no longer be breached and your children will no longer be threatened with the horrors of war. It is our pride that put us in this place initially, just as it was pride that took me away from the most important thing in my life," he glanced at Tamina.