~Four~

Sirius walks with Madigan's hand still in his. He doesn't even notice the stares and whispers, but Madigan sure does. The most noticeable person walking with the most unnoticeable person. As if sensing Madigan's discomfort, he glances over at her. "Are you okay?"

"People are staring at us."

"Are they?" Sirius asks as if he doesn't even notice it. He has grown used to the stares and whispers so that now he doesn't notice it. "Just ignore them. They're just people who don't have anything better to do but gossip." He tells her as he leads her out of the castle.

"I guess that's what happens when you walk with someone like me." Sirius frowns and glances over at her.

"What do you mean?" Madigan shrugs.

"Most people didn't even know I existed, but walking with you people notice." Sirius frowns, feeling bad for the poor redhead.

"Who cares." Sirius says. "I noticed you." It's true too. The most popular person in school noticed her and has only been kind to her. She looks up at him and manages a small smile. "Let them talk, Red, like I said, they have nothing better to do. You got Evans and me around to notice you plenty." Sirius smiles as he tightens his grip on her hand and walks her down the hill. "Careful of the grass, it's a bit slippery, it must have rain earlier." Sirius tells her and almost right after he says it she goes falling. Sirius grabs her before she hits the wet grass. "Careful." Sirius chuckles, his hands on her waist. "You don't want to get your clothes all wet."

"Sorry."

"Stop apologizing, Red. You know what, that's a new rule." Madigan gives Sirius a confused look. "When you around me don't apologize for anything. You don't have to worry about what to say or what to do because I am not going to be judgemental, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good, so relax. You don't have to be so tense." He says as he goes behind and rubs her shoulders. The action is so intimate, but it feels nice. Madigan relaxes as Sirius smiles down at her. Sirius can't say he felt this way around a girl before. Madigan is just so different that Sirius feels his mouth hurting from all the smiling he's been doing near her. She just makes him so relaxed and happy all the time and he barely knows the girl. "Come on." Sirius says, not wanting to move too fast on the obvious nervous girl. He takes her hand in his again, lacing their fingers together, and heads down the hill so more, keeping a careful eye on his redhead.

When they reach the bottom of the hill they start for the lake where Madigan can already see Lily sitting with her boyfriend, James, and their two other friends Peter and Remus. Upon hearing Sirius' and Madigan's footsteps the group looks over. Lily smiles upon seeing Madigan. "Hey, Madigan." Lily says. "I was hoping I'd see you."

"Hi." Madigan whispers as she stares at her feet, already feeling uncomfortable. Sirius squeezed her hand, causing her to relax. It's a silent reminder that he's beside her, holding her hand, and she doesn't have to be afraid.

"So what have you two been up to?" James asks as Sirius rolls his eyes.

"We were in the library Prongs." The group gasps causing Madigan to give a confused look to Sirius.

"You know where the library is?" Remus asks, causing Sirius' eyes to narrow in on the brunet.

"Oh, shut it, Moony." Sirius says.

"We never introduced ourselves. I'm James Potter, that's Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew." James tells her.

"Thanks for getting Padfoot into the library. I've been trying for years." Remus tells her.

"Padfoot?" She raised an eyebrow.

"They have nicknames for each other. You get used to it." Lily says with a roll of her eyes. "Come on, come sit down with us. Remus and I were just talking about the classes we've had so far." Sirius and Madigan walk the rest the way over and sit down, their hands never leaving each other, something the entire group notices, but decides it better not to question... except Peter.

"Why are you guys holding hands?" He squeaked, causing Madigan to turn red again and stare at her lap uncomfortable.

"Peter, shut up." Sirius snaps, causing them to look at him a bit taken back. Sirius rubs his thumb over her knuckles trying to get her to calm down. He can almost feel her anxiety rising and he almost knows she's about to start crying again.

"Hey, Madi, can I call you Madi?" Madigan manages a weak nod to Lily. "What classes are you taking this year?" Sirius lets out a relieved sigh as he feels Madigan relax.

"Um... I'm taking Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, and Defence Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, and I'm taking two private study courses."

"Wait, you can take private classes here?" James asks.

"I asked, Professor Dumbledore if I could."

"What are they?" Remus asks.

"I'm doing a private study course with Madame Promfrey and with Professor Kettleburn." Madigan says.

"Do you know what you're going to do when you graduate?" Lily asks.

"I... I have two ideas, that's why I'm trying to learn both to see which one I prefer over the other."

"So, being a healer or a magizoologist?" Lily asks, causing Madigan to nod. "That sounds fun. How long have you been doing these courses."

"Since last year."

"Wow, you must already be learning a lot then." Madigan nods.

"I still have no idea what I want to do.... it's really bad." Lily says. "Since I'm graduating this year."

"You still have time, Lily." James says.

"Not really." The group started talking, but Madigan wasn't listening anymore. She was busy playing with the dandelions that rest around them. Sirius is busy watching her, so he too isn't listening. His thumb continues to run across her knuckles in a soothing manner. Feeling his eyes on her, she lifts her eyes to see him looking at her. He smiles at her and she smiles back. It surprises Madigan how comfortable she is near Sirius now, while also feeling so... warm. It's a strange thing to say, but near him she always feels so warm and happy.

"Are either of you even listening?" Madigan and Sirius look over to see the group staring at her.

"Sorry. What were you saying?" Sirius asks, causing Lily to look at the two of them with confused eyes. "What?"

"Nothing." Lily quickly says. "I said, it looks like it's about to rain. We should head back to the dormitory."

"Madigan's a hufflepuff." Sirius points out.

"So? There's no rules against her coming into our dormitory, at least none actually written down. Come on, it won't be a big deal if she hangs out up there. I'm sure no one is even up there anyways. Most of them are off out here or inside doing Merlin knows what in broom closets." Sirius laughs as did the rest of the boys.

"Are you hinting at something, Lily."

"James!" Lily yells, her face bright red. "Don't make me hex you." Madigan laughs, causing Sirius to look at her. It's the first time he heard her laugh and it's like music to his ears. He can't help, but stare. The others look at the two and they all can see what is going on even if those two can't. "Come on." Lily says, dragging James away. Sirius leads Madigan up the hill after the others, a smile on his face and his face hurting from it all.