She wanted to fly

"Papa," Irene began, her small melodic voice floating on air up to her father. She stared up at the clear blue sky filled with numerous sea-fowl, thoughts formulating in her childish mind. "Why can't I fly? I want to fly with the birds. See, they soar and sweep with ease!"

"Irene, my child, man cannot fly like the birds; God has not made us that way." He father answered, pulling back his net from the water onto the dock. The salty water of the English Channel splashing on him and the five-year-old standing next to him. "Instead, we have planes to fly with them."

"Who flies the 'planes'?" Suddenly losing interest in the birds, she turned to listen.

"Pilots, who are strong and trained for their work." Mr. Bennet sat down on the dock, resting from his work. Thinking, Irene looked back up at the sky, to examine its vast expanse.

"Papa, may I be a pilot?"

"My dear Irene, be anything you wish, as long as you do it for the glory of God."

Growing up in the south of England, her life felt like coasting on a soft breeze. Irene Bennet lived a life of ease with her parents and younger siblings in the small countryside town of Tintagel. A house on the seaside, Irene only saw the beauty of the world. The calm ocean out her back door, and a seagrass field in the front, she existed just for enjoying what surrounded her small being. Hope existed everywhere for her. The promise of being a pilot specifically. After that conversation with her father on the dock, she didn't even try to think of any other topic than flying. The thoughts of planes, pilots, and being in the air always filled her growing head. Her three siblings decided she needed to have a reality check, despite the fact that they were younger. Nonetheless, along with their parents, they supported whatever dreams Irene could think up.

Around the time Irene turned twelve, her parents received word that Mrs. Bennet's uncle had passed and left a townhouse in London for her in his will. After much deliberation about the situation with their cottage, they decided the next best course of action was to sell their current home and move to London. London meant opportunity for their children and a real education. They sold the cottage by the sea, and the Bennet family of six made their way north to London. At first, Irene felt excited and happy that she could go to school in London with many other girls her age. Shortly after moving there she realized that school did not meet what she expected.

Her first day consisted of much teasing and falling over. When the teacher introduced her to the class of second years, she asked Irene to share an interesting tidbit about herself. Without any hesitation, Irene declared she wanted to be a pilot when she grew up. Patting her shoulder, the teacher nodded using the voice of intelligence speaking to ignorance, telling her what a lovely job that could be. Later, when Irene had to switch classes, her foot caught on the foot of another student's. Flying forward, her books and papers went everywhere. When she looked up to see who had tripped her, she saw a tall brunette looking down on her and smirking.

"Irene from Tintagel, what a weird name for a town." Declared the girl, placing her hands on her hips. "Irene, the girl who will never fly. Why she can't even walk." Many of the girls around her laughed at the witty comment. "Face it. No girl is going to be a pilot. So how could you?" With a flip of her long brown hair, the girl left with Irene holding back tears, and scrambling to pick up her books. When she got home, Irene fell on the creaky bed she had claimed when her family arrived at the dreary London home. The child cried herself to sleep, and when she woke up she decided, never again would she try to dream about anyone thought would never possible. She didn't want the ridicule of her classmates. She wanted friends. And if getting rid of passion is what she had to do to get some, then so be it.