Twenty-Two

"You're hopeless...."

"Then stop calling me already!" you snap, quickly ending the call that had come through on your phone after you hung up with Jaehee.

Unknown...

You were finally coming to terms with Him. It... Whatever. Or, as much as you can come to terms with a stalker that basically threatens your every day life. You were hesitant at first to pick up the phone, but you felt like ignoring it would only make things worse. But answer only met you with one exasperated sigh and a disappointed tone before you hung up again.

Your phone vibrates in your hand.

Unknown: Why did you hang up on me dearest?

Unknown: I simply came to offer you some advice. You are hopeless at understanding your own feelings.

Unknown: Always were.

MC: Don't speak as if you know me!

Unknown: But I do know you. Very well, in fact.

Unknown: For example, I know about the adorable way you scrunch up your nose when you're deep in thought.

Unknown: and how the bracelet you wear on your wrist is your "lucky charm" from your "lucky charm" oh so many years ago.

MC: ...

Unknown: I'm right, aren't I?

Unknown: I don't know how I could be wrong. I perhaps know you even better than you do~

Unknown: Like the way your nightmares are plagued with memories you can't place

Unknown: and how certain faces make you frustrated because you can't place that odd feeling of déjà vu when you're around them.

MC: Just leave me alone! Why me anyway?! I don't understand why you're stalking me and why you've gotten me into such a mess!

MC: Will you just let me live my life already?! I have enough problems without you.

Unknown: On the contrary, miss Mari.

Unknown: I am only causing the problems because I'm seen as the threat. The "Unknown"

Unknown: But what you don't yet realize, is I am only here to help.

Unknown: To make things better.

Unknown: And introduce you all to Paradise.

In a dazed mix of confusion, fear, and frustration, you throw your cellphone into the couch and storm off into the kitchen, running your hands through your hair and letting out a grumbled huff. Throwing open the fridge to find a drink, you fiddle with the thin and worn string bracelet before mentally berating yourself. He had just mentioned it, and you were trying to prove him wrong! In reality though, you had somewhat forgotten you even had it until Unknown had mentioned it. It was more habit for you at this point...

Suddenly, a loud ringing fills the apartment, and before you can even fin the source and see who was calling, His unsettling voice chuckles at you from the cellphone you have buried in the couch cushions.

"Tsk Tsk. You really need to work on controlling your emotions, Mari. Is this why you ran away from that boy's advances?" he chuckles, his tone patronizing and sending a shiver down your entire body.

You had never hit answer on the call.

With another sigh, Unknown seems to sense your hesitance to reply - to even pick up the phone! "I think you are simply too emotional right now. It's very unlike you to be lashing out at me like this! And to think, I had actually been thinking about telling you a bit about myself. Or at least, a bit about the new me~"

With a low and menacing laugh resonating through your body, you quickly race out of the apartment, not even caring about your phone anymore. You just needed away from it. Away from Him! You needed to calm down and think and breathe and figure out your next plan.

You tug gently at your sleeves and fiddle with the waistband of your pants as you try and think, your feet mindlessly moving and turning around corners and along sidewalks. You're not even paying attention to where your going, your mind racing and your heart beating too loud to really care. There was something bothering you about this whole thing. About Unknown! Like... There's something you should know, but it's just out of reach...

Pausing as you come to this realization and try to break down what it could be you know, you finally take a look at your surroundings. You're not sure how long you've been walking, or at what pace! And yet, somehow you had somehow found your way to a familiar building. Yoosung's house.

It must be habit, you think. You walked here without thinking because he's your best friend. And you need to talk to him anyway... But was now really the right time?

Shaking your head, you realize there isn't much of a "right time" - except maybe without a stalker on your mind - and approach the front door. With a hesitant knock, you stand there waiting, listening to the small shuffle sounds from inside, and then the familiar call of, "Just a moment!"

However, your heart drops as you hear the cheerful tone in his voice immediately disappear. "Hello?" he asks harshly, the door opening to a rather unhappy expression upon Yoosung's face. He didn't look angry. No, instead he looked like a puppy that's been kicked and left out in the rain, hurt and disappointed.

"I uh-.." you start, but you're interrupted.

"What do you want? Didn't even feel like texting me after you left?" he snaps slightly, and you feel a pain in your chest.

Taking a breath, you step closer to the door, just enough that he wouldn't be able to close it on you properly. "I-I felt texting would be wrong. You deserve more than that..." you start hesitantly.

"Oh, I deserve more than that, do I? Is that why you ran away like I had insulted you?" Yoosung asks harshly. You flinch ever so slightly, before letting out a pained sigh. 

"I hadn't been thinking at the moment..!" you argue slightly. "I was surprised. And I didn't know what else to do. Yoosung, I-"

He simply shakes his head, running a hand through his messy blonde hair before sighing. "No, I guess you weren't. Seems I wasn't really thinking either. But what you could have done was actually talked to me instead of just leaving. You could have said no, and we could have forgotten the whole thing even happened if that's the problem! But running away like that? Mari... You don't understand what that feels like..." he explains sadly. "I'm sorry I even brought it up. Why don't you just go now? I don't hate you. But... I just need some time."

"B-But Yoosung I-" you stutter, finding yourself at a loss for words. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to ruin our friendship. You're the only person I have...! You know that."

"Yeah, I know. That's kind of why it hurt even more. If you had just said that... things might have been different. But I can't- I can't look at you right now, Mari. I'm hurt. I didn't want things like this. I didn't want to leave you! But... I also don't know if things can go back to the way they were. Not right away. I'm sorry..." he sighs again. With you being left in shock and confusion, Yoosung closes the door on you, gently nudging you out of the way.

Before you can even really think, you can hear a soft sound of someone leaning against the other side of the door, and then what sounded like crying. And it's growing louder... And then you realize it's only growing louder because what you're hearing is your own tears mixing with Yoosung's as you turn and begin walking away.