Chapter 16

The next day, Yuri and Dark practically dragged Astral and Shing outside so they could at least have some bonding time and make up more than they already have. So, the two went on a walk. They were silent for quite a while, with Astral deep in thought and Shing deep in her sorrow that she couldn't seem to shake. She would have given everything to have Yuma back, even if that meant being cursed again.

"Yuma liked going here with his friends."

Shing snapped out of her thoughts. They were in the park where Yuma would duel with his friends. Astral's face was stoic, but behind those calm eyes must have been a mourning friend. He clutched the Emperor's Key close to his chest and looked down at the girl. Probably waiting for a response. She didn't have one.

Astral looked back to the park when he suddenly felt the Key start to respond, glowing and heating up. He held it out away from his chest so it wouldn't burn. Shing noticed his movement and looked over.

"What's wrong?" she asked softly.

"The Key seems to be responding to something." He held it to his chest again. "Not positive what it is."

~.~.~

They came home in the afternoon. Shing once again hid herself away in Yuma's room to be alone for the time being while Astral called Dark into the room below Yuma's. Dark, curious as to why his twin was suddenly calling, followed him there.

"What's up?" he questioned curiously. "Did something happen?"

"The Key seemed to be reacting. Maybe another Key Owner could be around in this city," Astral replied.

"That won't stop Eliphas from needing to wipe your memory, you know."

Astral tensed a bit. "Then he will at least know who is fit to hold the Key. Now come with me."

The two aliens hovered in the middle of the room with the Emperor's Key floating between them. They both held their arms out, completely calm for a moment with their eyes closed. The silence that fell between that was one of concentration as they Key glowed and heated.

Suddenly, Astral's eyes snapped open, and he shouted a loud and dismayed, "No!!" He grabbed the Key and threw it to the wall with all his might.

Dark, who snapped out of his daze quickly and was unable to read his twin's thoughts because of it, jumped and peered at Astral cautiously. "What? Who is it?"

Astral glowered and he ground his teeth. Never in all his life would he expect the Emperor's Key to choose someone so selfish and greedy. He may have been on good terms with her on the outside, but on the inside, he couldn't forget how Shing manipulated Yuma into doing her bidding even after he protested so wildly. He couldn't get over the fact that she claimed Yuma's corpse so greedily without even once considering what everyone else was feeling. There was no way he was going to give the Key to her!

And yet, the Key chose her. It had reacted towards her. He could lie and say it chose someone else, but it would weigh on his heart.

Astral floated over to the Key and picked it up. Thankfully, it didn't break. Dark watched him cautiously, not wanting any of this emotion to be directed at him. However, Astral didn't lash out again. Instead, he looked at the ceiling and sighed. 

"I suppose it has to be done..." he mumbled, and Dark was finally able to understand what happened.

"At least you'll be able to continue collecting the Numbers," he assured. "Then you can stay for as long as you want if Eliphas sees it. Hopefully, he won't erase your memory if he sees you're doing what you should."

Astral nodded, but he still didn't like it vert much. Still, he pushed his anger down and flew up to the attic that was once Yuma's room. Shing was sitting on the hammock, looking at the picture Yuma kept on his table.

"Shing."

At the sound of his voice, Shing looked over to the alien, who was clutching the Key to his chest as usual. His face was uncertain, though, and he wouldn't look at her.

"What is it"

Still, Astral said nothing. Then, he quickly flew over to her, shoved something in her hands, and zipped down to another room. She blinked in surprise at the speed of which it happened.

There was something familiar in her hands. Looking down and opening her fist, she was shocked to see the Emperor's Key laying on her palm. Ever since Yuma was taken to be prepared for the funeral, Astral hadn't let go of the Key for anything, not even when Dark was trying to make him let go. What could this mean?

Holding the Key as tightly as possible so it wouldn't drop, Shing made her way down to the room under the attic only to find Dark there, staring at the door. 

"What happened?" she asked. "Astral came into the room and just gave me this." She showed Dark the Key. "He seemed pretty unsure about it, though."

Dark shrugged. "It seemed to choose you as its new Key Owner. He was just surprised, that's all. That thing seems to like choosing unexpected people to own it."

"So...I'm the new Key Owner?"

"Yup." With that he went off to find Astral.

Shing looked down at the Key that Yuma once wore proudly around his neck. It was hers now? It felt both wrong and right. Still, she figured she could help Astral collect the Number cards now that she was the new Key Owner. Besides, it could help them grow closer. That's what Yuma wanted, right?

With that in mind, she slipped the necklace over her head and looked for Astral.