Chapter 23 A Rescued Ship

Obiah brought his ship out of hyperspeed in the Meser Nebula that the man in the pawn shop had told them to go to. No sign of pirates. The others leaned closer to the windshield, peering out at the gold and pale pink vapors and hoping to see some signs of life.

"Can you all step back just a bit?" asked Obiah, feeling a bit claustrophobic.

"Sorry," mumbled Tom.

He and the others took a few steps back. All of their nerves remained on edge.

"Do you think the pirates are here?" asked Brie.

"They're here," Rynah answered as she studied the color-laden area with its pink, green, and purple tie-dyes. A serious expression covered her face. She knew they were there. She felt it.

"When do you think they will come for us?" Brie asked.

"No doubt, when they feel like it," replied Rynah in a low voice. "Obiah, raise the outer windows. I don't want them to be able to see inside."

Obiah pressed a button and tinted panels slid across the windshield, darkening the outside world.

"Cool! Tinted windows," exclaimed Tom.

The others glanced at him and his excitement.

"What?" he said. "Man's got to get excited about some things."

"I suggest you keep your excitement on low for now," Rynah's tense voice mulled over the cockpit. "I only hope they believe our lie."

A single ship flew over them, buzzing them. It shot off a few miles before turning and reapproaching, settling in front of them.

"Here we go," said Rynah.

"Who are you?" came a harsh voice over the radio.

"We were sent here with supplies," said Obiah.

Silence loomed.

"You were here yesterday, were you not?"

"Yes," said Obiah, trying to make his voice sound as raspy as the man on the other end, "but your captain ordered two loads. We left the station this morning."

More silence followed.

"What's going on?" asked Tom.

"Shhh," Rynah rounded on him.

"What supplies?" came the croaky voice over the radio.

"Freeze dried food, rum, powder, and women." Obiah kicked himself when he clicked off the radio for saying that last part.

"Women?" Rynah hissed.

"Sorry," whispered Obiah.

"Are they buying it?" asked Tom as silence continued over the radio.

"No doubt they are discussing it," answered Solon.

"You know, for a geek, you know a lot," said Tom.

"Silence," Rynah's voice cut them off. "They're not buying it."

"Just wait," soothed Obiah.

The radio hissed to life. "Follow me."

"Understood," said Obiah. "See?" he turned to Rynah, "They did buy it."

Rynah's doubtful expression voiced her disbelief. "Brie, you and I need to make ourselves look like prostitutes."

"What?" Brie did not like this plan.

"What kind of women do you think they are expecting?" Rynah said to her. She grabbed Brie's arm and led her into the back of the ship.