CHAPTER SIX : ENCOUNTER

[ Gavin's POV ]

This was really getting weird. Jason and Scarlett have been laughing it off like they were old time friends! How did this happen? I sat in the corner playing with a small tornado in my hand as they say in a booth playing cards and telling each other off playfully. I sighed and created multiple little tornados around me as they danced on the floor.

" You cheated you brat! Stop stealing the money! " I looked over to see Scarlett leaning all over the table, playing tug of war with Jason over a handful of money as she knocked the pieces all over the floor. Jason sat there laughing, as she tried to get the money out his hands.

" I didn't cheat! I passed GO! " He argued. She didn't believe it and soon the money was scattered all over the floor once he let go and she fell back. But in perfect timing, I thrust my palm forward and a bed of air caught her before lifting her up and setting her gently on the ground. Jason sat laughing as she gave me a grateful smile. She was really opening up to us that I think that's the first time I've seen her smile. Especially at me.

" Alright. You better clean this up. I'm gonna go get ice cream. " She walked over to a coat rack and put on a black cardigan before turning to me, " want to come? " I jumped up and we both walked out the restaurant. We walked over to Baskin Robbins and as she got a regular chocolate ice cream cone and I got a Sherbert with a waffle cone, we walked around the park.

" So what happened with the people who kidnapped you? " I asked suddenly. She tensed and I probably shouldn't have asked. She looked at me from the side of her eyes and for a second I thought the old harsh Scarlett was back but then she softened up again, taking a deep breathe.

" They were working for my father "

" Oh yeah. Jason told me you said they know about Adam " I added. She looked at me and she paused. Her eyebrows creased as she stared at me. We both stopped walking as she put her ice cream down.

" I never told Jason about that part "

[ External Narrator : The Park ]

Scarlett suddenly realized something she knew she should've realized a long time ago.

Gavin was a traitor.

She watched as he slowly walked towards her.

" Oh come on Scarlett. You couldn't actually believe I wouldn't take the opportunity to be on the winning side, could you? " He looked at his ice cream and threw it on the ground. Scarlett watched as it splattered to the ground so easily. How could Gavin do this? Such a sweet, innocent, boy with no family? Why was he doing this? Scarlett took the opportunity to ask him.

" Gavin. What are you doing? Why are you doing this? "

" Because! Ever since you and Jason became such best friends you barely even looked at me! I took that and went to your father. He's a real smart man, you know. " He smiled at her and she bit cheeks, refusing to look weak. This was the third time in her life she was betrayed by someone she trusted.

First it was her mother. But she easily forgave her. It wasn't her mother's fault on what she did. Although it still pains her. The second time was Adam. And now Gavin? What did she ever do to deserve all this?

" I can't believe you. Just wait until Jason hears about this! " She tried to turn and run but his hand grabbed her wrist.  Scarlett looked at him, surprised at home firm it was. She could've easily killed him in this spot but how could she? She's known him for too long she won't very be able to even hit him, " let go of me " she growled. She had to sound threatening, she can't be weak at this time. She's been betrayed enough and he was the last straw.

" We both know you won't lay a hand on me. You want tell Jason a word, understand me? " His grip tightened but Scarlett didn't budge. She only looked him, still in disbelief on everything that was happening. This can't be a dream. How could Gavin turn on her and Jason so easily? Especially Jason, after everything he's been through and everything he's done.

But of course he did. He had no family. How did he even know what the word, 'family' meant? Her silence gave Gavin her answer and he let go, releasing his tight grip on her. She rubbed her wrist from the pain he inflicted on it and he forced her to walk and act normal.

" I don't get why you're doing this " she mumbled. She hook my head, still trying to process this all. She looked over and could see him smirking, " I don't get what you think is so funny " she spat, coldly.

" You're obliviousness is what's so funny. How could you even trust me? Or Jason. But if guess you have to since you guys are going to fall in love " he said. Her entire body tensed. Of course he knows. Her father must have told him his every plan. Including the plan he has for her. She had to find that plan out one way or another.

" You're right.... For all I know he'd turn on me to " she looked away, biting her lip as she started pretending to be hurt. His eyes softened a bit, worry spinning in his eyes.

" It's not too late to change sides you know... " He said, leaning forward to let her know. Just the words that she wanted to hear.

" Is it? " Scarlett looked at him, all the pain showing as much as she could show it. His betrayal, Adam's betrayal, her father's wickedness, her own mother's death, and everything that's ever gotten through enough to break her heart. He bought it. The cruel Gavin was gone. In was the one that just wanted her to be on his side.

" It's not. Think of what you could do, Scarlett. We can be everything " he took her hand, and she took every will in her body to fight herself not to pull it away. He brung her hands to his chest, he was 13 but the kid was tall, " we can literally fill this entire world with fear " he emphasized the word fear. Someone was clearly happy with his plan and goals. God, what even happened to him?

" What about Jason? "

" Forget about him. I mean. Don't. You have to fall in love with him. Well, I men you can fall in love with me - well not that way. You have to fall in love with him but we can be besties. Wait no, that's weird " okay, he totally ruined the moment. Scarlett watched as he continued on with his incessant mumbling.

" Gavin! I get it. " She finally said, interrupting him before he continued on if she liked Lord Of The Rings. 

" So. Are you in? " his eyes glowed with hope. Although he was cruel and heartless, I still cared for him. I still felt like he was my friend. 

" Yes " I managed to say, choking on my own spit.