Northspire

Jacob was used to being up earlier than most of his companions in the Guard. He had always liked the still and quiet of morning, and tended to turn in early compared to his companions. Moreover, whatever St. Thomas had done to his body seemed to reduce his need for sleep, at least a little. So, per habit, he rose to meet the sun, and began to prepare breakfast.

He let his thoughts wander as he went, gathering ingredients and starting the fire. He did not like where those thoughts went. He was grateful to St. Thomas for rescuing him, and he understood how the spirit couldn't just betray Heaven and fight Innoken on his own. But Jacob couldn't quite forgive Heaven for not being willing to face the Shakaths of the world. Because without their help, Innoken was practically invincible. Ironwood was going to die, and there was nothing he could do about it. If he wasn't careful, he was going to burn breakfast, too.

Perhaps thankfully, Jacob was interrupted by the distant sound of a knock on the front door. He stepped briskly to the front of the building, and opened the door. Before him, stood a slim, dark-haired woman of just over average height in a Sarronen-made dress. Her eyes were red, and her thin smile was brief. Behind her was a tall blond with her hair bound into a tight braid. She looked nearly as tired as the other.

"Laranna, Athena, you're up early. Come in and have some breakfast. Did you not sleep well at the keep?" Jacob asked.

"Not really," Athena replied wryly. "This little outing may have toughened me up a bit, but when someone tries to kill me, it still ruins my day."

"Dear Lazarus," Jacob replied. "What happened?"

"A man broke into our room last night," Laranna replied uncomfortably. "He had a Kull face and a Kull weapon, so he must have been involved with the men who kidnapped me the first time. But he crept right over the bed with a poisoned dagger; there's no doubt he meant to kill us. Thankfully, he was no match for Athena."

"I can't imagine," Jacob responded quietly. "Come in and sit down, Laranna. Breakfast is almost ready. I don't have much in the way of herbs to make a tea, but there's plenty of wine, and I just cracked a fresh cask of mead. Whatever you want, just let me know. That must have been terrifying."

"Yes, it was demon-damned awful," Athena replied dryly.

Jacob ruefully ran his hand through his hair. "Of course. I'm sorry I dragged you into this."

The blond's eyes flashed. "I'm not. I wanted to come. I would like a little appreciation, and maybe a little pampering too. The Kull had a poisoned dagger, and I was stuck under a blanket with nothing. It's almost pure luck I'm still alive."

"Yes, I know how you feel, and you do deserve it," the dark-haired man returned, putting his hand on her shoulder. "Besides, the offer was for you too: we have eggs, honeyed biscuits, berries, and fresh ham. Just don't expect me to serve you breakfast in bed."

Athena placed her hand on Jacob's for a brief moment, then lifted it to show the distance between her thumb and forefinger. "You were this close to impressing me. This close. I bet you'd serve Laranna in bed."

Jacob shook his head with a grin, trying to ignore the flush rising in Laranna's pale face. "Still engaged, Athena. Don't you think I'm in enough trouble right now? Now, tell me what happened, while I put together the plates. Take your time."

~

"I have to say, Jacob. This isn't bad," Athena remarked around a mouthful of biscuit. The scent of spiced ham and eggs mixed with the mead to announce a truly mouthwatering meal, and none in the warehouse had refused the invitation.

"Indeed," Lord Erik added. "You have developed all manner of new skills lately, Jacob. What else have you been hiding from us?"

"Thank Brother Francis," Jacob replied, pleased. "I've learned a lot from him. Truthfully, though, you keep a good larder here, and that made it easy."