chapter six

"i didn't know i was lonely
'til i saw your face."
- bleachers
____________________________

"ARE YOU SURE about this?" Gus whispered. Even from their spot on the abandoned building's rooftop, he didn't want to risk someone hearing them.

Aurora had her hands firmly planted on the cement ledge as she eyed the people walking casually on the sidewalk below them. At his question, she turned to him, her eyes twinkling with a mischievous glint.

"Trust me," she said. "This is incredible."

Gus hesitantly eyed the bucket full of water balloons at their feet. "I can't decide if you're evil or an evil genius."

Aurora eyed the boy beside her, his tall frame turned towards her, waiting for direction. "It takes brains to be evil, Gus. They're the same thing. Now, stop being a fucking baby and pick up a balloon."

"You're ruining my innocence," he whined, bending down and gently grabbing a blue balloon.

"Ruin Gus' Innocence," Aurora repeated, striking her finger through the air. "Check."

"What if we get caught?" Gus asked, ignoring her as he peered over the rooftop's ledge.

"We'll be fine."

"You say that like someone who's been caught before."

"Gus," Aurora said slowly, staring at him squarely in the face. "You will not go to jail for dropping a water balloon on someone. Now, coming from a girl who is dying, we do not have all day. Drop the balloon or I'll smash it over your head."

"You're fucking crazy," Gus mumbled under his breath.

"Less flirting, more mischief." Aurora watched him eagerly, a proud smile on her face, as he closed his eyes and dropped the balloon over the rooftop's ledge.

A second passed. Then two. Finally, Aurora stood on her tiptoes and peered over the edge. The remnants of the blue balloon lay beside a dark spot of water now decorating the sidewalk. Aurora glanced over at Gus, whose eyes were still closed. She watched him with a lighthearted smile before poking his cheek.

He opened one eye slowly, a blue iris peering back at her. "What happened?" he asked slowly, adorably innocent.

"Gus," Aurora spoke softly as she rubbed his shoulder in reassurance. "The point of this is to hit a person, not the sidewalk." Gus cursed under his breath as she handed him a yellow balloon. "Try again. This time, open your eyes."

"Evil doesn't come naturally to everyone, Rory," he mumbled under his breath.

"Spend enough time with me and it will. Now," she grabbed his hand and held it over the ledge, "stop stalling and let this baby fly."

Gus peered over the edge, silently hoping the sidewalk would be deserted, as soon as a man in a navy-blue business suit turned the corner. The man was chatting away on his cellphone, unknowingly walking right into their onslaught.

"Oh God. He's wearing a suit, Rory. A fucking suit. Shit. Shit."

Aurora peered over the edge and smiled, satisfied, as she saw the man Gus had mentioned. The impending mischief made her heart flutter.

"Water doesn't stain, idiot. Do it! Do it!" She chanted, pounding her first in the air.

"Okay. I can do this." Gus turned towards Aurora who was watching him, completely amused by his hesitation. "I hate you," Gus said as he dropped the balloon over the edge.