chapter nineteen

"i don't wanna think about the distance,
i just wanna be in your existence."
- a r i z o n a
___________________________

AURORA TAPPED HER foot impatiently while staring at the thrift store's changing-room curtain. "I'm actually dying here, Gus. Hurry up!"

The curtain pulled back slightly, Gus' head of curls peeking out. "Technically, so am I," he responded quickly before shutting the curtain.

"How long does it take you to get dressed?"

"Looking this good takes time, Rory."

"Congratulations, you have now set my expectations unrealistically high."

"You're making me self conscious."

"Show me!" Aurora tugged impatiently on the curtain just as Gus' flung it open. Her sudden intake of breath was audible as she gapped at him, unashamed. He was wearing the navy blue suit she had picked out that brought out the blue in his mismatched eyes, just as she thought it would. Even with the few wrinkles and outdated style, he looked breathtaking.

"Oh my God," she gushed, giving him a once over. "How am I just now noticing how hot you are?"

Gus ignored the heat rushing to his cheeks, silently thankful for his dark complexion. "It took you this long to notice how good looking I am?" he joked, running a nervous hand through his curls.

Aurora laughed, taking a step closer and adjusting his tie. "Sorry," she mused, sounding anything but.

"I'm offended. I noticed how hot you were the first day I met you," he admitted. Her eyes flicked up to his and she suddenly became aware of how close she was to him.

"You finally meet a hot girl and turns out she's dying. Gus, you have the world's shittiest luck." Aurora smirked as she finished adjusting his tie. Her palms slide down the soft fabric of his suit, resting on his chest.

"I actually think my luck that day was pretty great," he said, voice low.

His words took Aurora by surprise and, when her eyes met his once more, they were soft, thoughtful, as they watched her. She easily could reach upwards, wrap her hands around his neck and tug his face down to hers. But the promise she made her brother, and herself, lingered in her mind.

Aurora cleared her throat. "My turn," she said, breaking the heavy tension resting between them as she flung the dress she picked out over her shoulder. She retreated into the change room quickly before Gus could get a word in.

Ignoring the pounding in her chest, Aurora slipped off her clothing and put on the long, floor length black gown. She turned to admire herself in the mirror. The dress was daring— it hugged her tall frame, with a split that ran up to her mid-thigh, showing off her entire leg. Like Gus' suit, it was a worn out, with wrinkles and other imperfections decorating the fabric. Still, she smiled at her own reflection.

Aurora pulled back the curtain and strutted into view. The awestruck look on Gus' face was enough to make her feel giddy inside. She fluffed out of her hair and give him a little twirl, making sure he saw every angle.

"Has a dying girl ever looked this good?" she boasted, smiling widely.

Aurora awaited Gus's response but he simply stood there, his hands hanging limply at his sides, utterly speechless. His jaw hung open and his eyes were wide as saucers. Aurora took a small step towards him and nudged his arm.

"Gus?" she asked wearily.

Snapping out of his daze, his eyes slowly traveled down her body before meeting hers. "Remember when I said you were hot?" Aurora nodded slowly. "I take it back," he breathed. "You are so beautiful."