Ch.6

(Cat above is Tigergrowl)

Losttail sat with her head down. Leafbare had past but the clan had experienced great losses. Thrushleaf and Grayshade's whitecough had worsened to greencough eventually killing both cats. But worse than that, at least to Losttail, is that Swiftmind had caught greencough which ended with her joining StarClan.

Losttail lifted her head. The sun was shining brightly across the sky, lighting up the forest around her. She sat in front of the mound of dirt where her mother was burried.
I miss you, mother.

"I miss her too." A voice sounded behind her.

Losttail looked over her should to find Tigergrowl pushing his way through the bushes. He sat down by his daughter and wrapped his tail aroud her.

"We had been mates for many moons. I remember how happy I was when she agreed to be my mate. Then the joy I felt when she said she was expecting kits."

Losttail smiled at the memories her father shared of her mother.

"We may have had only one kit but I wouldn't give you up for anything." Tigergrowl continued. "I remembered the day you were born. Neither of us had noticed your missing tail. We were both just excited and happy that you were here."

Losttail smiled at her father's words. She lowered her head again. Tigergrowl glanced at her and wrapped his tail tighter around her.

"I miss her just as much as you do but we can't grieve forever. We both have roles in our clan." He mewed." You have a prophecy. Swiftmind wouldn't want us to forget the duties we have."

Pain tugged at Losttail's heart. She knew her father was right. They both had duties to perform as a warrior and medicine cat. She tucked her head under her father's chin. Tigergrowl smiled and rested his head on top of hers.

"We may not have Swiftmind with us but we have each other." He meowed." You're not alone, Losttail. I'm still here. You still have me."

Losttail felt tears begin to fill her eyes and she buried her head deeper into her father's chest just as if she were a kit.

StarClan, Swiftmind, I need you! Please! Help me!

*

*

*

That night, Losttail curled up in her nest and closed her eyes. Suddenly, her mind was filled with churning shadows and shrieks that made her jump. She realized she could feel the ground underneath her paws, cold and sodden. She got up and walked, her vision clearing.

She emerged into a half-lit clearing surrounded by gray tree trunks. Fear surged through her as she looked around. I know this place. It's the Dark Forest. Why am I here?

"Hello, Losttail." Whispered a voice from somewhere behind her." I sense fear in you and your mentor. I know the look on his face all too well. It's the same way his sister looked at me when she died."

Losttail's eyes widened. He must be one of the cats that killed Berryseed's family. She spun around." Who are you? Show yourself!"

The cat's evil laughter echoed trough the gray trees." I don't think so. You don't stand a chance against the Dark Forest. We're stronger, smarter, and StarClan will crumble beneath our paws."