Prologue

Note:
Kindly avoid comments before January 1st, 2021 as the chapter has been rewritten.

🥀

Song of the chapter
Black - Pearl Jam

🥀

Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.
-J.K. Rowling,
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Ten years agoSicily, Italy

Ten years ago
Sicily, Italy.

Annette stood still, her expressionless face staring at nothing in particular. The clouds rumbling above her head bore witness to her inner soul, howling in anguish yet not a single drop of tear left her eye.

It seemed to others as if she had forgotten to feel. As if she was devoid of emotions. But if that was the case then how come she wanted to scream till her lungs gave up, cry till she lost sense of her body.

The whimpers of her heart were as fresh, as real, as the scars splattered all over her body.

As another lightening struck the sky she felt something cold run over her hollow cheek.

Finally.

She raised her hand wiping the liquid with her forefinger. Only to realise it was just a drop of the rain. She closed her eyes in regret and squeezed them, hoping to shed one tear - just one. But nothing came out.

Pathetic.

There she was watching, the woman - who died trying to save her, who died because of her - being buried six feet under. Yet her pitiful self could not even shed a single tear in her name.

Was she that bad of a person? Was she that much unfortunate that her fate had stripped her off the right to even mourn?

She had known from a very young age that she was a lot of things - unwanted, unloved, ill fated. But she had never felt like what she felt today.