TWO

On October 31, Emily found herself rummaging through her closet, trying to find something to throw together as a costume. The only ideas she'd came up with were a ballerina, a beauty pageant queen, which was made up of her mother's old pageant sash and a floor length dress that were both in the back of her closet, and lastly, a cat. She figured the ballerina wouldn't go so well, what with the giant tutu that would keep people at least a foot away from her on all sides, and ruled out the pageant queen, knowing that she'd trip over the dress. The cat didn't seem like such a bad idea, but she figured it was too generic and used. Suddenly an idea popped into her head.

     "Well, let's pray that mom still owns that dress.."

And about ten minutes later, after raiding her mother's closet, she found exactly what she was looking for. She'd seen the dress in pictures, but her mother had never allowed her near it. The dress was white, a Marilyn Monroe sort of style. She knew it was expensive, and hopefully her mother wouldn't even notice it was gone. Emily took the dress from the closet and quietly walked to her room, making sure her mother wouldn't see her on her way there.

     Emily got ready, carefully slipping into the dress, sliding on a pair of white, short heels, and putting a layer of red lipstick on her pouty lips. The young girl jumped slightly at the sound of Steve's car horn, and grabbed her things, running down the stairs cautiously, and leaving the house, gracefully making her way to the car and climbing in.

     "Woah, Em, have you had that dress?" Nancy asked her incredulously.

     Emily shook her head. "It's my mom's, and she'd be very mad if she knew I was wearing it, so let's get out of here before she comes out to talk."

    Steve nodded and floored it, making the girls both shriek and then laugh, excited for what should've been a wonderful night.

☽ ☼

At the party, so many things were happening that Emily couldn't keep up. The room was packed with sweaty, tipsy teenagers, and loud music played. There were red plastic cups littered on the floor and furniture, and a punch bowl in the kitchen that she decided to stay far away from.

"Hey, watch it!" A voice yelled from behind Emily as she stumbled slightly.

She turned around to see a blonde boy, with piercing blue eyes, and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. The eldest of the Sinclair children found herself glaring at him and rolling her eyes. She didn't think the situation could get any worse until he opened his mouth a second time.

"Damn, if I'd known it were a pretty thing like you I'd bumped into, maybe I would've offered to take you home instead of yelling at you, princess." His face held a stupid, charming smirk that Emily wished she could punch right off of his stupid, charming face.

"Oh shove it, mullet boy!" She yelled, rolling her eyes again and placing a hand on her hip sassily.

"Woah, little lady, what's your problem?" He asked, that smirk of his getting bigger by the second.

"What you just told me implied that you'd have been rude to anyone who wasn't a "pretty little thing like me." That's not exactly a quality I look for in men, so I wouldn't have allowed you to take me home anyway, you arrogant pig." At this point, a crowd had formed around them to watch their new 'keg king' get yelled at by a junior. "Thank you, have a nice day, asshole." Emily shoved passed him, and while the guys in the crowd patted the boy on the shoulder, he was sobered up slightly and left in shock, looking back at her, and wondering what kind of girl she was to stand up to someone like him.

☽ ☼

Hey guys! I just want to say thank you to anyone reading this story of mine, and I'd love to hear people's thoughts!!