Prologue

Raleigh Maxwell

My head was pounding as I stumbled through the front door. I could hear laughter from the sitting room, but no other voices followed.

She was home.

"Phoenix!" I called out. I was angry, furious even.

I tripped into a table, cursing under my breath.

I stepped into the parlor, my vision slightly blurred from crying as I grabbed onto the nearest object in an attempt to keep my balance.

"Raleigh?" Her head perked up from the sofa, though the face that was staring back at me was hardly recognizable.

I wasn't even sure if I was about to talk to the same person.

I shook my head, silently laughing. Phoenix stared in bewilderment. "I don't understand, have you-" I cut her off, holding a hand up.

"Save it. I know all about you. Your lies, and-" I coughed, and narrowed my eyes at her. "-your pathetic secrets."

"What are you going on about? Lies and secrets? What have you heard?" She paused and then stared at me, this time, her expression much more fierce.

I rolled my eyes. "Innocent little Phoenix. But, are you really? Honestly, you don't deserve an explanation. You aren't worthy of hearing what I've got to say."

She opened her mouth, ready to retaliate, when there was a loud pounding at the door.

"Raleigh! Don't do it!"

Phoenix's gaze turned almost deadly as she listened to the voice.

"Unbelievable." She shook her head, just as there was a slam and the sound of heavy footsteps.

"Raleigh, stop. End this right now." A feminine voice snapped.

I could no longer decipher what was reality and what was figments of my own demented imagination.

The voices were unfamiliar now, and my breathing was beginning to hurt, my vision spotted.

I smirked. "I'm just getting started."

Then, I saw nothing.

*****

Hey guys! This is the prologue and I'm like really excited to write this book, so I hope you like it!

It's short, but obviously the real chapters will be lengthy. Enjoy! :)

Read, comment, vote!