Chapter 8

"Can you stop?!" Johnny Ghost nearly shouted at Jimmy Casket from where the ghost hunter was working at his desk. The demon was sharpening his knife on... nothing. But it still made scraping noises, and it had been distracting Ghost for over two hours.

"Nope! Knifey must be perfectly nice for tonight!" The demon was referring to one of his killing sprees, which were normally three to four days between. Three days have passed since the ghost hunters had gotten nothing on the blood test, and now it was time for Jimmy to go "hunting" as the demon put it.

"Can you sharpen it quieter? Or maybe at some point when I'm not trying to lay down false claims for this case?" Ghost growled, glaring at Casket. The demon didn't say anything, but continued sharpening the knife. Ghost groaned and put his head in his hands, elbows on his desk.

Ghost hadn't been getting much sleep lately, with him "dreaming" about Jimmy's killing sprees, nightmares about Jimmy killing Toast, and not to mention, dreaming about the black void that was apparently his mind. It's as if his whole life now revolved around the demon, he was never going to get rid of him.

He started working again, tapping his pencil against the paper but not actually writing anything down. A knock on his door sent him out of his thoughts, Toast.

"Come in," Ghost said exasperatedly, trying to block out the annoying screeching that was Jimmy's knife against something metal. The door opened, revealing, indeed, Toast.

"Sir, I had a theory about the demon," Toast told his partner, and the younger man waved him over. He brought over a piece of paper, with seven circles and a square on it. "You see, the first six murders happened in a semi-circle around our house. But the most recent murder happened here, over two miles away from the other attacks. But the most recent attack also happened after I told you and the police force my theory about the previous murders."

"So, you think, that it could be me, or anyone on the police force who has the demon? You're kidding me right? I'd think I'd tell you if I suddenly had a demon in my head who's killed over twenty people." As soon as Ghost said that, he felt guilty. He only was keeping Jimmy Casket secret from his partner to keep Toast safe.

"Sir, I don't think it's you. If I thought it was you, I wouldn't be telling you," The older man reassured his partner. "But I do believe it might be one of the officers of the police force."

Ghost paused, thinking.

"I'll consider it," he told his partner, and with that Toast left the room, closing the door behind him.

He spun around to face Jimmy Casket, who had stopped sharpening his knife to listen to Toast's theory.

"I don't want you to change your current pattern," Ghost said quietly to the demon.

"I didn't want to anyway," Casket told his host.

"Hear me out." The ghost hunter raises his hands in defense. "If you change it tonight, then Toast will know it was me, considering I'm the only one he told it to."

"Fine," Jimmy shrugged, resuming his sharpening.

"You're actually reacting a lot better than I thought you would," Ghost commented.

"You haven't noticed, I normally do whatever I want, whether you like it or not. However, I agree with you on one thing, I don't want you to get imprisoned, because that screws it up for me," Jimmy twirled his knife, before resuming his sharpening.

"Well then, that's good I guess," Ghost frowned, before spinning back around in his chair to resume his work on not getting caught with a demon in his head.

/\ /\ /\

This time, Ghost regained control of his body a mile away from his house. He sighed, pushing himself of the concrete and starting the long walk home.

It's almost dawn when he slips into his room and collapses on the bed. However, after ten minutes, an alarm goes off. Toast's alarm. He always wakes up 6:30 every morning. If Ghost had a chance of falling asleep before, it was gone now. He sat up, hearing the water running in the bathroom.

Ghost snuck through the house and snatched his laptop from the coffee table, left there from last night, before dashing back to his room. Maybe not that quietly though, considering he heard the water turn off for a few seconds, then turned back on.

I really hope he didn't hear me. If waking up 8 am is a shock to him, waking up at 6 am is going to throw him completely off guard. Ghost thought about Toast, rubbing his forehead.

"I agree, I've lived in your head for almost three weeks now, and you've never gotten up before 10 am if you could help it," Jimmy commented, and Ghost glared at the image of the demon.

"Decided that you wouldn't get me home this time either huh?" the ghost hunter growled at him.

"I could just leave you at the crime scene every time," Casket smirked, and his host rolled his eyes, but didn't answer the demon.

Ghost sat on his bed and popped open the laptop. Jimmy came and sat next to him, reading over his shoulder. His most recent tab was about dispelling a demon from your mind, and Jimmy saw it.

"Trying to get rid of me now, huh?" Casket giggled. "I'll see what I'll do to punish you for that decision." Ghost didn't say anything, but a pang of fear ripped through his mind. He opened a new tab, deleting the old one, and searching up how to lie to your best friend.

Don't, was an answer he got. Ghost gave a rude gesture to that answer.

Depends on what you're hiding. The ghost hunter thought that having a demon in your head was a pretty big secret.

How close you are to your best friend. Pretty close in Ghost's opinion.

By the time Ghost gave up, an hour had passed, and the ghost hunter had nothing to do. Suddenly, his phone pinged, and he picked it up to read the text message. It was from Maloney.

M: Demon sacked two more bodies. Get your butts over here.

Holy poltergeist, right. The ghost hunter leaped up from his bed, only to crash into his desk with a yelp, and then trip over his shoes.

Next thing he knew, he was face down on the floor.

He stumbled up, switching his sweatpants for jeans and pulling on socks and shoes. He grabbed his shoulder bag in one hand, and rapidly brushed his teeth with the other, tripping over his own feet as he left the room.

"Johnny! Come on! Another two bodies have been dropped!" Ghost spat out his toothpaste and threw his toothbrush on his nightstand. When he faced his partner, the older man had his mouth open to ask a question. The younger man knew exactly what his partner was going to say, and pulled out his phone, showing Toast the text.

"That's not what I was going to say, sir," the Brit told the ghost hunter. "I was going to remind you, shirt,"

Ghost looked down at himself, realizing, indeed, he did not have a shirt on.

"Right."

\/\/\/

Word count not including this author's note: 1225

What up? I put the chapter out as promised. New cover! Made by me. I posted it on my new deviantart account: alwaysananxiousmess. Go check it out.

/\/\/\