04 : the sorting

It was safe to say that Bridget did not spot the troublesome two during the rest of the train ride. She had managed to find a compartment with people having books up their faces, meaning that it was a perfect quietness...for now. Bridget wondered if they would manage to find where she was and terrorise the Ravenclaw 2nd years surrounded her. Anything was possible around James.

Thankfully when she looked out of her window a couple of hours later, the scenery she was witnessing had slowly disappeared due to the darkness...and still no annoying people were near her. 

The train had suddenly stopped to a halt, and she noticed people outside her compartment heading outside. She took that as a cue to follow them. As she walked outside, she silently gasped. There were several stars scattered around above her head, and they looked absolutely stunning. 

She noticed an enormous man who was more than twice her height (and she was quite a tall person) a couple of metres away from her. His round belly was covered by a scraggy dirty material, complete with a leather buckle belt and a large coat that was a sandy colour. 

''First year's over 'ere!'' he shouted to the large crowd running around all over the area. 

Technically it was her first year, but she was supposed to be starting her fifth year in Hogwarts. After contemplating what do for a minute, she walked over to the man who resembled a giant. 

Tapping his shoulder, she spoke in a clear and polite man. 

''Excuse me, but I am starting Hogwarts and am not sure where to go.''

As the man peered over to get a good look of the girl, he responded. 

''Well you are taking yer first year righ' now, so join 'ese young fellows.''

She accompanied the curious looking children, and they together walked over to a lake nearby that leaded up to a beautifully lit castle. There were a couple of boats perfectly lined up against the shore.

''No more 'an fer to a boat!'' he exclaimed behind them.

Bridget personally thought that his accent was quite strong, and ended up assuming that he meant four people each were supposed to be on a boat.

She quickly walked over to an empty one, thinking that all the 11 year olds looking at her were scared to join her. However she was wrong. 

A smiling girl with short chestnut hair sat on the seat opposite her. With the way she dressed herself, and how tidy she looked, she looked like a pureblood. 

''Hello, i'm Amelia'' she said, extending out her arm to Bridget. 

Bridget nonchalantly accepted and replied with a simple, yet courteous ''Bridget''.

''I wonder where the boat paddles are,'' mused Amelia, peering down at the dark water.

Right on time, the boat started moving by itself. Bridget grinned.

''They're invisible,'' she said, wiggling her fingers in a creepy-yet-hilarious way.

Amelia giggled. ''So, what house do you want to be in?''

''I'm not sure,'' said Bridget. ''I don't really have a preference.''

The small girl opposite her smiled again. ''Same here, honestly.''

Before Bridget realised, she had engrossed deep in a conversation with Amelia. It felt good having to talk to someone that didn't joke or annoy her at the same time. 

Within five minutes, they had reached the castle. It looked so huge now, upfront. Bridget suddenly began to feel queasy and clutched Amelias hand. Amelia immediately clutched back hardly, and Bridget had realised how pale the short girl looked.

''Don't worry, it'll be fine,'' she said, comforting her.

The group of around 35 students walked up to a large door, and there stood a woman.

Her hair was slicked back into a rather tight bun, accompanied with an emerald witches hat and robes. Her perfectly angled glasses and bright eyes screamed don't mess with me. 

''Welcome to Hogwarts, I am Professor McGonagall. The feast will occur shortly, but before that you must be sorted into your houses. You will most likely be in the house your family is in, but you never know what might happen. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history, and has produced outstanding wizards amongst them all. Your successes result in house points, and breaking rules will result in losing them. At the end of each year, the House Cup will be awarded to the house with the most points. It is an honour to win it, so you won't want people running after you if you lose ten points. Everyone is very competitive, just keep that in mind. The Sorting Ceremony will occur in a short while, in front of the whole school. I will retrieve you all in a few minutes.''

As she walked away, plenty of murmurs were exchanged around the large circle. Before the nervous children had realised, the strict-looking lady returned once more.

''Follow me,'' she commanded simply. 

They all followed her to a very large room that had four long tables near each other that was filled with students. Bridget found it amusing that the attention was on her mainly. There was another table at the very front where adults were seated and looking curiously at their forks. 

''Now,'' said Professor McGonagall. ''When your name is called, please sit down on the stool and put this hat on you.''

She indicated to a very dirty and old looking hat, but Bridget wasn't fazed in the slightest.

That was, until she heard the hat sing. From then onwards, she kept on eyeing the hat suspiciously. Even when peoples names were being called and getting sorted.

She was inspecting a small part of the hat that was absolutely clean and wondered if anyone touched the particular area or it was like that originally. With magic, nothing was certain. 

''Nolan, Bridget.''

Snapping out of her trance, Bridget walked up to the stool, sat down and put on the hat without hesitation. 

Jesus, it smells, she thought. 

Hello to you too, said a voice in her head.

Damn, a hat with great occlumency!

The hat chuckled.That comment screams Ravenclaw, but we both know thats not the house for you. 

Bridget sighed. I understand. Does that mean i'm in Slytherin?

While you should be automatically in that house, there's a different side of you. After what you have experienced these past few years, you don't have that many fears...because you've lost a lot of things. I know how bad your dark side is, but I know you aren't afraid of jumping off a cliff. Besides, the house I put you in may change you...but not completely. That dark mind will stay there forever. Oh, quite indeed it will, the hat mused. If that annoying boy didn't mess with you in the first place, then you would have been an empty canvas, therefore resulting in Slytherin. But, I guess things happen for the greater good....

''GRYFFINDOR!''