In some other age.. (1/4)

Neil turned away from Avni. It had been two days since they had talked ! They kept up appearances in front of their family but in the privacy of their room they barely talked to each other.

The feud started a couple of days back, when Neil returned from his office.. late, all burnt out. He was working long hours these days, something about a sensitive case going on! Avni was very patient, but she did not have what Neil had, an office to go to! She did not have any other place to pass her time! She sometimes felt entrapped in the house. She loved the family members, but it was different without Neil. She felt she did not get to spend enough time with him..

Neil entered the bedroom thinking Avni was asleep. She was not. Neil switched on the washroom light so as not to disturb his sleeping wifey. He quickly changed and then went to join Avni in the bed. As he entered the bed, Avni spoke..

"Aa gaye tum!" (.. you have come!)

Neil hesitated as he spoke - "Hey avni. Sorry I thought you had slept.. did not want to disturb you"

Avni was not in a good mood at all. She was frustrated all day long.

"Neil. You know what ! I feel good that you are disturbing me while sleeping. At least this way you are talking to me!I feel pathetic that it has come to this. You must be really happy that someone is waiting so eagerly to see you.."

Neil was bit surprised and confused. He did not know why she was getting angry at him. He had had a long long day at office today. He had seen a couple of murder victims of the latest case hounding him. That of what it now seems a serial killer! He was not his usual self when he said the next words.

"Avni. Ye kya bachpana hai!" (what kiddish behavior is this!)

Avni burst with anger at this. A couple of tears trickled down her cheeks as she started talking - "I am kiddish?! Neil you have lost all sensitivity. You do not care about me at all now! Here I am waiting for you all day and you think I am kiddish?"

Neil knew he had blurted out the wrong words. But it was too late for damage control now. Also he was tired and somehow he could not care less after whatever he had seen at work today.. He was a normal guy and seeing all the blood and murder at work had unhinged him.