In some other age .. (4/4)

Neil's mouth was open with surprise. Suddenly Vidyut looked at him and gave a smirk.

Vidyut spoke to Avni now - "Hey Avni, do you know that man looking at us? Maybe he knows you as he looks like he might speak!"

Avni turned and saw Neil and her face lost all its color. She had told the family members she is going to meet Neil but actually she was meeting Vidyut! In her loneliness, she had accepted this stranger's Facebook request! And she did not realise when she had started sharing stuff with him! Vidyut was just a very good friend. Someone who totally understood her. She shared her relationship with Neil with him. She knew what she was doing was stupid and very very wrong. But it was her way to vent out her frustration. There was nothing wrong in her mind. S

She stuttered - "Neil.. wo.. meet my friend. Mr Vidyut R!"

Neil looked with pure rage in his eyes. He could hardly control his anger. It was clear to him now that this cannot be a coincidence. That Vidyut was that deranged serial killer. That he was intentionally psychologically playing with the police officer handling his case by reaching to his wife! Neil could not believe Avni's stupidity, but he also knew he was to blame. After all he had not been able to express himself to Avni for all these days and had been blind to her pain! Also he knew Vidyut was very clever and would have done something crafty to come to this.

Neil took a deep breathe and calmed himself down with difficulty. Then he stepped forward and took Avni's hand and pulled her towards him. Vidyut just smiled and raised his eyebrows at this. It seemed to Neil that this criminal was challenging him!

Neil did not say a word to Vidyut. He started walking away with Avni by his side. 

Avni - "Neil.. Neil listen. Pls leave my hand its hurting! NEIL!"

Neil turned to look at her and she saw the pain in his eyes. In that moment she melted and let him whisk her away.

Neil made her sit in the and car and drove away from that scene fast. He then stopped the car some distance away from home. He wanted to talk privately to Avni before he got back into the house where his family would be able to eavesdrop..

Neil opened the door and made Avni step out of the cab as well. He then made Avni face him. Avni was extremely afraid. She knew that she had gone on a wrong path. She met someone online in her loneliness and shared some secrets with him that she should never have! She was feeling the guilt for it all now but she could not do anything. She expected Neil to burst out at her and maybe even more. She hoped he would not divorce her. He was so much like a stranger these days that she barely knew him!

Neil looked at Avni long and hard with an inscrutable expression in his eyes. She looked shiftily at him awaiting his questions.

Neil - "Only one question Avni. Do you love me?"

Avni looked at him in surprise. She had expected something else but not this. 

Avni - "Ofcourse Neil . That person is a no body to me. He was just a friend I met online. I know you will be angry but.."

Avni had to stop speaking as Neil had already kept his hand covering her lips... Avni looked at him surprised and scared. And before she could react, Neil reached ahead for her and pulled her to himself. Neil held Avni tightly. Slowly Avni's arms went around him and she held her to him. She took his scent in, God she had missed him. Avni held Neil tighter. As they held each other, Avni felt Neil was shivering. She pulled away and looked at his face. 

Avni - "NEIL! Kya hua? Why are you crying?" (what happened)

Neil - "You dont know anything Avni. I am so sorry, I am sorry I left you alone all these days. I felt like i had lost you my sweetheart. You are so so precious to me.."

Avni could not take anymore. She held Neil's face in her hands and said the words that stopped Neil's heart - "i love you Neil. I will never leave you and go anywhere else or to anyone else"

Neil looked at her, kissed her on the forehead and held her again. And then he spoke - "Baby.. It is not that. I am not jealous of that person. I totally trust you. I am worried for your safety.."

Avni was confused - "what do you mean Neil?"

Neil in the next hour told Avni the case he was working on. He even showed her the photos of victims that were in his car's glove compartment. And then at the end he told her of his prime suspect. Avni's eyes widened at hearing Vidyut's name.. She started trembling and sat down where she was on her knees, Neil held her back and made her stand up.

Neil - "Avni we cannot change what happened. But I promise you this. You have me and I wil never leave you sweetheart. I will hunt down that Vidyut R before he is able to hurt you or play with your feelings anymore. It is personal now. Also after that I will quit the force."

Avni looked at him surprised again! Wat was Neil saying, wasnt this work his life..

NEil looked her in the eyes - "Avni. Nothing is more important to me than being with you. I came close to losing you today. Luckily God and destiny put us back together and  i discovered what was happening! I dont want this to happen ever again my love. If anything happens to you what will I do. This fearless IPS officer is afraid for his wife's safety now. I will quit Avni.."

Avni held his face again - "No Neil. Not on my account you wont. Neil it was my problem as well that we did not communicate well. And I promise you love that I will be stronger and not look for outside support now! I want you to continue helping others as a police officer. i will support you as your wife and do my duty as a citizen."

Neil was speechless and looked at her with utmost love. They had faced a bad phase in their lives but they had come out of it relatively smoothly. 

He hugged Avni happily. He was seeing a bright happy future together with his wifey..