three

//faces in the crowd

a familiar loud beeping awoke millie, as she groggily rolled over to her side, a light throbbing sensation suddenly became apparent in the back of her head. she reached a hand to her eyes, covering them tightly and groaning in a mix of annoyance and pain, but mainly annoyance.

"joe, i swear to fucking god you better turn that off right now." she mumbled, her mind foggy yet startled. she rolled over, her free arm hanging over the end of the couch as her knuckles brushed against the carpet, her body sinking into the edge of the cheap cushions.

"it's about time you wake up." joe responded, laughing quietly while reaching a hand up to brush back his dark hair as he pushed a button on the stove, causing the alarm to abruptly turn off.

"five more minutes." millie mumbled, her eyes squeezed shut. she reached for the soft throw blanket, clutching the thick material to her chest as she instantly felt regret towards her alcohol consumption from the previous night. she always knew it was a bad idea, but it was an easy way for her to get a head start at the fun, even if that wasn't the end result of the night.

"no, get up." joe ordered, his voice harsher as he reached over the couch and whipped millie lightly with the towel that hung loosely from his shoulder, earning an irritated sigh from the tired and agitated girl. "now."

"leave me alone." millie said quietly, opening her eyes and peering up at him. the dull light from the apartment flooded her tired brown eyes, as she squinted them and struggled to open them wider. she curled onto her side, her face against the back of the couch and directed away from joe.

"you have places to be," joe told her, "now get up."

millie ignored the barely audible comments flooding from his lips, "where's sadie?" she demanded, her voice coming out harsher than intended. she removed her hand from her forehead, reaching down down to pull the soft blanket up further, the only thing currently providing her warmth.

"still at caleb's." joe answered, grabbing the bottom of the blanket by millie's feet and yanking it off.

"what the fuck!" millie shouted, springing to her feet quickly and ready to pull the blanket away.

"you have places to be." joe said again, tossing the blanket onto the ground by the old radio. "go get your ass ready and leave so i can have the place to myself, for once."

millie raised an eyebrow, her expression slowly becoming more awake. "places to be?" she questioned, raising her voice. "i don't remember making plans."

"that boy you were with last night," joe explained, "he said he's taking you to breakfast, so hurry up because he'll be here soon."

"finn?" millie asked, still confused as ever. she always seemed to forget things when she was intoxicated, a major fault of hers.

joe confirmed, "that's the name."

"you let me agree to this?"

"that's what you get for being drunk." joe laughed, turning on his heel and approaching the fridge. he grabbed a blue water bottle from the top shelf, taking a sip. "your actions have consequences."

millie held in a sigh, biting the inside of her cheek and glancing towards the clock on the old beat up stove, 10:13 am. she ignored his 'actions have consequences' comment, figuring it would be best not to start an argument at an early hour of the morning.

"when did he say he'd be here?" millie asked, she decided it would be best to deal with the plans, after all, it would be better than sitting in the cold, dingy apartment all day long.