One

ONE

"I'm just sayin', life's fragile. Imagine wasting it away, sitting back and watching it happen all around you. Don't people like that feel sick? I know I would."

"Some people are depressed, though," I shrugged, tilting my head down to watch as I dug my shoes further into the warm sand. "They probably do feel sick."

"Gotta take a leap sometimes, Rey-Rey. That's all that people need once in a while. Can't be comfortable all caged in and sold a whole dollar short. It ain't fair."

"Define 'caged in'."

"Alright, you two, that's enough. I'm going to get a migraine." Em held up her hands, flashing a glare at Ty. After years together he still manages to be a pain to her. But they wouldn't have it any other way.

"I didn't start it." He teased, jumping up to his feet. "Where the fuck is Ricky?"

"Could you please sit down, Tyler? My goodness." Em watched him obnoxiously shake the sand from his pants.

"He's still by the car." In his natural habitat, of course. Most likely on the phone, stressed, and four Camel menthol's deep. Great thanks to his girlfriend Mia, I'm sure.

Ricky was always dealing with her in one way or another, fighting on the phone or in person, it was always something.

But never for the reason they should be fighting for.

It wasn't necessarily my place to say anything, but he had to know in the back of his mind that she was sleeping around. Everyone else knew.

The thought is nearly putrid.

Ricky was family. It'll never sit right with me that he'd allow himself to be treated the way Mia does, when he wouldn't let the same happen to any of his friends. Especially me. The double standard was infuriating. I want him to give a shit. That's not much to ask. Not out of Ricky Hadley.

Whatever. I'm a 'threat' to her regardless of her unfaithful hobbies. With it being known that Ricky and I have been inseparable since our early middle school years, she's never been accepting of me.

Trust in this, I don't give a donkey's ballsack. She can eat dirt.

"Oh, there's the little princess now!" Ty held out his arm dramatically, pointing out to Ricky who was skating down the windy pathway to our small area of secluded beach.

"You kicked sand on my book!" Em whined, holding her finger in place so she wouldn't lose her spot.

Clearly distracted and extra jittery, Ty dropped his head down for a quick, "sorry, Lil' lady."

"Rey, would you mind passing me my bag?"

"Sure," I grumbled, hoisting it up by the straps and tossing it across the sand. Well out of her reach. "Shoot, I'm sorry."

"Is there something on your mind?" She asked politely despite us being mildly inconsiderate.

"Just not my day today." I answered quickly, glancing down at my cell phone.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, thank you though."

"Sorry in advance." Ricky blew out a long breath, flicking the dead butt of his cigarette into the trashcan nearby.

"Please God tell me you got pot, my dude, you can't edge me like this." Ty pulled his hands down his face to show the whites of his red-tinted eyes.

"No," Ricky dropped his butt down to his skateboard and finally joined our circle. "Nobody's answering."

"Fuck," Ty groaned, dropping back to the sand. "Guys, I'm bored as hell. No offense ladies, you've been a blast. Seriously, Rick, I'm dyin'."