Two

TWO

"You promise that you're alright with it?" My knee shook under my leg, even when I put my entire willpower and being into holding still. Keeping calm. Sure, I knew Em wouldn't mind me staying over, but I made the plan without asking.

"Stop it! Of course it's fine." Looking away from the boys as they spat out an argument regarding two words in a ridiculous song, Emma gleamed at me. "You are always welcome."

"I won't have any spare clothes either, do you think-"

"Yes, a thousand times, yes. Oh my goodness, Rey. I would love to dress you tonight. You'll look amazing, I swear to you."

"Em," I laughed at myself, reminded of how frumpy I looked. "I was gonna wear this to the party. I'll need pajamas."

"Please?" Her hands folded together, held together in front of my face as she begged. "U can't bear it if you say no."

"Nothing too crazy. Minimal, okay?"

"I don't know that word." Ty and her smiled at each other from across the room and her nose scrunched with laughter. "What on earth..."

Ty being his usual self was balancing a handstand on top of his wobbly drum seat. Hooting out, "Look!"

"You're going to fall." She jumped up, standing ready for any accident that was prone to happen. "So obnoxious."

"Hey," I felt my spot sink down, startling me to see that Zach was now right beside me. "How's it going?"

"Good," I flushed, anxiously looking for distractions around the room. "I'm fine. How are you going? Uh- how's it going with you?"

Why was he so close?

Zach hardly spoke a word to me.

Except for little smiles here and there.

I'm in no way prepared to-

"You know," he shrugged, waving out to the room. "Same thing most of the time. Feel like I haven't seen you in a while."

"I was here just last week," I laughed, toying with a hair tie around my wrist, pulling it in tight loops. "You didn't see me."

"I always see you."

Now, we panic.

What did that smile mean? Not the smile alone, but the look.

God, he was flirting with me, wasn't he?

"How's your music going?"

"Ah," he leaned back into the couch, still focused on me like never before. "It's awesome. I've been writing a ton of stuff for some new bookings. I think I'm getting somewhere, you know?"

"That's something to be super proud of." Was there any way for me to relax? Being this shy was not cute. "You'll be on the radio in no time, huh?"

This made him laugh, nudging me gently with his arm that sat against mine as a constant reminder. "That's what I'm hoping for."