-ONE-

Getting in trouble was something I did very well. Usually I would just get a scolding from June, my nanny of sorts, or at worst a talking to by my father. Then I would get punished, like going to bed without supper or having to clean up the sticks in the yard and rake the leaves.

This time though was going to be different. I could sense my father's rage radiating from his powerful body, his alpha side rising to the surface, his irises going black, the color starting to bleed into the whites of his eyes. I hung my head and waited for my father to reprimand me.

The warrior standing next to me shuffled his feet, his eyes focused on the ground and his head ducked in submission. My father's overbearing nature was forcing all of those in our pack to bow in submission, even though that wasn't his intent. "What am I supposed to do with you, Cleo?" He demanded, a deep growl in his throat.

I kept silent because I knew he didn't want an answer from me.

"I've told you a dozen times to stay away from the boundary lines, and this is exactly the reason why." His voice was filled with fury and I knew I would not be escaping this one lightly. "That rogue would have killed you if Grey hadn't been nearby. You would be dead." He spat out the last word, making me and Grey wince. "You are nearly thirteen, this must stop. Learn to obey quickly, Cleo, or you will not like the way I make you." He flicked his head at Grey, "take her to the the house. I'll figure out how to deal with her later."

Grey touched the small of my back and pushed me forwards, even though it was gently, I still stumbled a little. I hung my head as I trudged back to the house, feeling the eyes of the pack members follow me before quickly dipping down to the ground at Grey's warning growl. I scuffed my feet along the ground, kicking a rock that was in my way. "I hate this." I grumbled to myself but Grey's excellent hearing caught my words anyway.

"You may be his daughter, Cleo, but you are still a part of the pack. He's your alpha and you should listen to him."

"It's because I'm his daughter that I'm not a part of the pack." I contradicted him. "I should have started learning last year. I should have been part of the apprenticeship. Instead I'm forced to sit around the house, going to school and learning like a human. To be a human." Tears pushed at the back of my eyes. "I can't help it. I want to explore, I want to be like the rest of you." I stopped walking and stared at Grey's feet. "I don't want to be like those humans. I don't even need to be a hunter, I just want to be a wolf!" The waterworks started and I began to bawl at the unfairness of it.

Grey knelt down, now eye level with me. "Cleo, there is nothing wrong with being normal. You are still a part of this pack, you can still—"

"Watch pups? Help the other wolves cook and clean?" I cried harder, "I want to be a warrior, Grey! I want to protect my pack and instead all I do is endanger it!"

Grey exhaled a breath and propped his finger under my chin. "There is still a chance, Cleo. Maybe your wolf hasn't awakened within you yet. Just give it time."

I flung myself into his arms and sobbed all over him. "I'm three years late! Not even the smallest sign!"

It was normal for wolves to start showing signs at ten years of age. Our hearing sharpened as did our vision, our canine teeth formed and we were stronger and faster. We began training the year after the signs started showing and learned how to fight and use our human bodies. At sixteen we were finally able to morph into our wolf forms. We trained under a master, usually one or two apprentices per warrior until they deemed us worthy to become a warrior ourselves.

Our master was the same for both the human and wolf body training. They taught us how to transition and to restrain our urges and emotions. They taught us how to fight in both skins and to use our skills as hunters to our advantage. Skills I would never obtain or hone. I was as worthless and every other human.