Chapter 10: The Annulment

Chapter Ten - The Annulment

Greenwich Palace
Early July 1540

I almost didn't believe it when I heard, part of me still refuses to.

The official announcement came this morning at court: the marriage between King Henry and Queen Anne is to be declared null, void and illegitimate. This short affair between them will never theoretically have happened at all. Anne is to become Henry's adopted sister instead, a rather patronising but still safe position for her. Apparently she didn't put up much of a fight about the annulment, she just accepted it and agreed to the conditions. To be the adopted sister of the King, part of the royal family, and be gifted several beautiful estates is a very good outcome for a woman who has fallen out of favour with King Henry.

The King has not come to see me yet, nor has he written to say that I am to take Anne's place, but I need not worry. By now the whole court and half of the country knows that the King adores me, showers me with gifts and privileges and will almost certainly take me as his next wife. I am to be the Queen of England.

In a fit of girlish excitement, I leap onto my bed, collecting the covers around me and burying my face into the pillows, before turning onto my back and gazing up at the ceiling.

Finally, I am seeing the result of all my hard work. For once in my life I can be the saviour of my family, our name, our reputation. It wasn't all so long ago that my uncle was explaining to me the intricacies of this dangerous plot. But it seems a lifetime since I was shocked about the task I was being set, now it just seems normal.

The young, naïve girl that left her home last Winter overcome by the road ahead of her is gone, and in her place stands a strong and powerful woman, willing to sacrifice friendship and an innocent reputation for the title of Queen. I lie in a state of numb, excited ecstasy; barely able to comprehend what this means for me.

I leave my room and head for the gardens, for fresh air can surely be the only remedy for such an excitable mind. Yet again I see a difference in the way people look at me. Of course there are some, those of the jealous nature, that scowl in disgust. But they know so little, and only pretend to be pious enough that they wouldn't have done exactly the same thing in my position. But many, oh so many people, nod their heads at me a little lower, smile a little wider, all in preparation for whatever new title and power may be bestowed upon me. I feel like skipping, or running, or laughing out loud like a madwoman. But I must not, of course, give away too much about my expectations - I cannot be compared to my cousin.

Just as I am reaching the pivotal moment of excitement, a cold, blunt dagger strikes me right before my eyes. For a moment I have no idea what to do, how to act; I am frozen as the Lady Anne turns the corner of the passage followed by her ladies-in-waiting. Although she carries her head high, her chin up and her stature straight, I can see by the glistening complexion in her eyes that she has been crying.

Something inside of me realises then just what I have done.

That whilst I have been lounging in ecstasy over the possibility of usurping my Queen, Anne's life has just been destroyed. She cannot possibly hope to remarry given that her marriage was annulled on the basis of her lack of appeal. A humiliating defeat for her, she will be put aside in one of her country homes for the rest of her life. Granted, she will enjoy the luxuries and independence of every single noblewoman, but she will never recover from the trauma of this experience. I am to blame for that.

I want to bow to her, to smile, to apologise, but I cannot. It is far too late now for regrets. No, I must walk on as if I have not seen her, no doubt she will do the same to me. The desire for success deep inside of me pushes more than the sympathetic; I am able to overcome any sense of sadness relatively quickly.

However, as I walk past her I cannot help but sneak a peak at her face, just to see if she is looking at me. She is not. Her eyes are dead set straight ahead, she pretends that I do not exist and manages to hold her nerve much better than I do.

In this, the Lady Anne has won.