Chapter 8 - Seeking out Draco

They walked across the meadow, along the shore of the lake and entered the bog from a westerly direction, proceeding southwards, all the time trying not to be discovered. It didn't take long to reach the first part of the woods, still treading carefully, trying not to make too much noise which could alert the animals or birds. Their plan was to find Draco's house, where Jacob would get into action by seducing Draco and then eventually sedate him with the sleep potion which Jacob had prepared last night with the help of the druid, pretending he was unable to sleep for weeks now and really needed a good night's sleep. The sun has passed the midday point already and there was no sign of any house or dwelling anywhere in the woods so far. Alberich scratched his head and Jacob walked sweating beside him in his disguise. They found a clearing in the woods, sat down, drank some of the water and ate some of the bread. While the two man rested on the ground, Rupert got up and wandered around the edges of the clearing, as he was curious if he could find anything. All he noticed that there was not a bird about and he got the feeling he was watched by something or someone. He walked closer towards two big oak trees and suddenly spotted some red glowing eyes staring at him. He jumped back, startling Jacob and Alberich.

'What's wrong with you Rupert? Why are you so jumpy, there is nothing here?' Jacob grumbled.

Rupert walked backwards towards the two man not taking his gaze of the spot where he had seen those two red glowing eyes.

'Dad, Dad there is something over there between the oak trees. Look, look.'

Alberich got up and stood beside Rupert following his outstretched arm pointing into the direction between the trees. He saw nothing, just some holly bushes with red berries waving in the wind.

'Rupert, there is nothing. Calm yourself down, only a few holly berries playing in the wind.'

'No, no there were two red glowing eyes staring at me. Look again, there behind the holly branches.'

Alberich and Jacob now looked with more concentration and saw. Nothing

Jacob shook his head and said: 'If I had known that you are so easily scared by some berries I would have brought a Jackdaw along to keep you an eye on you.'

Rupert shrug his shoulders to dismiss Jacob's remarks, as Jackdaws where know as being the nosiest bird in the kingdom and always had their beak into something. The rumour was that if a Jackdaw looked after you, you would get into trouble sooner rather than later. Alberich laughed slightly and put his arm around Rupert's shoulders.

'Stop it Jacob, maybe he did see something, maybe he didn't. We better get a move on as my eyes barely can enjoy the view of you in this cloth much longer. I think we should walk deeper into the woods towards the enchanted trees, maybe we find some signs of Draco there. He has to be around here somewhere for sure.'

So they left the clearing walking onwards in an easterly direction. The trees started to stand closer and closer together. The ground cover was different now, no longer there were bushes or ferns, but more leaves and broken branches interrupted by roots. Rupert stumbled and fell forward right in between some tree roots onto old holly leaves. His hands were stinging and his knees did hurt too as the sharp edges pierced through his trousers. Alberich lifted him up and when he looked ahead into the closed branches he could see two red glaring coals looking at him. He shook his head, how come that the little sunlight that penetrated the trees was now playing tricks at his eyes. But then he also heard a very low growl coming out of the thicket just ahead of them.

'Did you hear that?' Alberich asked with a low voice looking at Jacob and Rupert. Jacob shook his head, but Rupert nodded.

'I told you Dad, there is something or someone out there.'