01

( catherine

( catherine. )
I

Catherine Commonwealth is a sight to behold. The young mother barely registers the stares and whispers from the population of Beacon Hills High as they look for remnants of her pregnancy. The grip on her cellphone tightens, typing away with fervor in an attempt to appear busy to her old friends trying to catch up on the latest gossip piece. She almost rolls her eyes when her mother's reply isn't hasty. The familiar three dots pop up often but quickly disappear. It's exasperating.

The young Commonwealth manages to reach her locker without friends popping up to ask question or beg for pictures of Colleen. Several feet away, she spots Stiles Stilinski with Lydia Martin from her peripheral vision. She shakes her head and turns her attention to her locker. Catherine puts in her combination and breathes when she blocks her view of Scott McCall's friends.

The familiar buzz of her phone in her hand provides her with plenty distraction. The open it to find a love photo of her daughter throwing food at her own mother. She giggles and types away. Her mother seems to be doing a wonderful job with Colleen. She clicks send and locks her phone to place it in the back pocket of her blue jeans.

Catherine grabs a couple pens and a notebook from her bag. She closes the zipper and places the blue bag inside. The brunette closes her locker door and races toward her first class. This would be the perfect opportunity for a silly gossip to cross her path. She's all happy to avoid it on her first day.

Luck isn't on her side though. Instead of being a regular gossip, she finds her arm linked with the pale arm of Lydia Martin. She glowers at the strawberry blonde. "We agreed on zero contact, Martin. This situation doesn't raise a white flag." She tries to break away from Lydia's hold. When she can't, she sighs. "Lyds, I can do something as simple as walking to my first class."

"Not doubting you can't, sweetheart. I've seen what you can do with those fists," Lydia smiles outwardly in spite of herself. "But we have a bit of a situation."

Catherine frowns. A situation is not what she needs. She is a young mother seeking to strive at caring for an infant daughter while finishing high school. Which she declare she could do on her own — without the help of Scott McCall. She manages to unclasp her arm from the banshee, "I'm not looking for a situation of any kind unless it involves my daughter."

The girl easily glides through the hallway, glaring at anyone who tries to move in her direction. She leaves an aggravated friend behind who's moving toward someone familiar.

This is how she spends the day at school. She just walks in to avoid everyone she's grown up with and waits for the bell to ring to release her from her current hell. She doesn't even blink when she encounters the McCall pack, with the newest member — Scott's beta, Liam Dunbar.

The freshman doesn't react to her. It's a good thing, she tells herself. He's not too entangled with the tragic love story of Catherine Commonwealth and Scott McCall or lack thereof. For they died together but alone.

She even manages to smile at him. It encourages him slightly. Even approaches her while a familiar freshman pulls him back — Mason, but that doesn't stop Liam. No, it only causes the beta to lightly shove Mason off.

"Um, hi," he nervously greets her. He even waves a bit. She smiles encouraging as greeting. "So, there's this party and I was wondering if maybe you'll like to go with me?" His smile grows, "As friends of course."

Catherine's familiar bell laugh turns heads, "Actually, I have a daughter waiting at home for me. Maybe another time?"

"Oh?" He raise his eyebrow in genuine surprise. He frowns to himself for stupidly avoiding Mason's advice.

"Don't sweat it. It's actually very refreshing to have someone not know I'm a teen mom. Just creates a load of gossip around here," Catherine notices the worry on Liam. "I would love to go with you two some other time," she motions to Mason, "If you don't mind my daughter's company. As long as it's not a party of course. But who's throwing this one?"

Liam shrugs, "I don't really know. I was invited by Kira, a junior, I think."

Catherine considers this. She might not want to engage with the McCall pack, but she wants Liam to know there are other options. She doesn't want the beta to fall into an abyss of never ending hero stunts. He deserves better, just like Allison. Like Colleen. "On second thought, I might go with you. Would you like me to drive?"

Liam shakes his head, "Actually, Kira offered to give me a ride, but I can get the address for you."

Mason places his hand on Liam shoulder, "He's just inviting more people. It's our first big party."

Catherine bites her lip, "No, it's fine."

Mason nods, "Alright."

Catherine smiles, "I guess I'll see you two later. I've got to tell my mother I'm hanging out with some people later."

if you really liked this chapter, please give it a vote!

also, cat is a bit reluctant to trust the mccall pack. it'll make sense in the next few chapters. there a bigger reason than allison.

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ✰