Chapter 3: Silence

A large creek that echoed to the insides of the maintanance room was what greeted Dan as he opened the door. "Nice...place..." V lifted an eyebrow. "Well, we've been in worse." The male closed the door behind him. 

Ana shrugged off the discomfort and found a spot to sleep. It was getting dark, so they have no other option but to retreat. She watched as the two leaders talk to what they will do the following day. She wasn't sure what to do or how to interact, especially to their 'kind', though something was always popping in her head.

Above all the noise that was kept only inside the room, Ana's question stood out. "D-do you have any relatives?" Curiousity filled in. "Why do you ask?" Dan was intrigued. "Well, I was just wondering." She looked away as she brought out a journal from the back of her shorts. V couldn't do anything but avoid their eyes, and then put her attention back to the question. "I don't know where mine are, actually." Dan forced a smile. "Ditto. I'm even sure if the Phils. really caught the virus yet. Though there've been reports...and...I can't believe I'm not there right now. So....Hm..." Her voice faded, hands in mid-air.

        Ana looked down. She felt guilty on bringing it up. But it was her turn.

"Well, I... have-.... HAD a sister.  She's 10, and..." She sighed. "She's the only one I had left. I swore to protect her. But I couldn't. I didn't know she got left behind. I didn't look back to see. I just noticed when she was already smothered. Sure, I managed to kill all of those bastards, but..." Ana collected herself.

        "By then, she was already bitten. Now, she's gone and it's all my fault." Tear drops fell on her own hands. There was a moment of silence, then a warm hand touched Ana's. "It's not your fault. It's not." Dan repeated, making sure Ana didn't have the idea stuck on her head anymore.

"At least you were there with her." The others' attentions were grabbed. V puts down her rifle, having the very same feeling. Even Dan couldn't help to feel guilty, they were all in despair. The night quickly blew away. Time passed by pretty quickly as V took the last watch. Every moan from the outside of the night hunters, searching for their prey through the tunnels didn't scare any of them. For the night, they were safe. They have a secure 'camp site' and they got each other.

From her peaceful slumber, Ana rised from the floor, with nothing to cover the firm and her thin journal, being her pillow. "Rise and shine, sleeping beauty." A familiar voice sang in a modest tone. "What time is it?" The brunnette rubbed her eyes.  "5 am." Dan said. "It's too early, then." Ana yawned, closing both her eyes yet again. "Up, up, up." V stretched, going sideways.  She put her thick leather gloves back on her hands, after she then was dragging- or as she defines it, helping- Ana get on her feet.

The two leaders grabbed their weapons. The girl was about to grab her glock but a hand stopped her from reaching. "Uhm, bad idea. At least, not without a silencer." The young man pointed.  Instead, Dan handed Ana a crowbar from one of the far corners of the maintenace room. It was the best bludgeon she could have. She, instead, kept her ranged weapon inside her pocket, alongside her journal she refused to write on again.

It was officially the brunnette's second day in the team. She knows nothing about her companions, nothing but their identities, age group and the things they sorrowfully left behind. But they can protect her,and each other, that's what matters. The very same kind of protection she failed to give her sister.  Dan opened the door. He led as the other two followed, having Ana in between. 

From the shadows, they have emerged to the open. But what could they do? It was a tunnel.

"It's clear." Dan smiled. "Walk fast but not too fast, also try to keep very quie-", "We know, Dan." V cut her partner off. "Right, sorry." They kept their pace, thus leaving the tunnel only in a matter of minutes. They planned their route carefully and surely.With that, they were capable of avoiding most of the undead.

          Ana breathed heavily, and was gradually slowing down. She was tired. She never walked that much before. That is, not as much as V forced her to keep walking.

"You're tired?" Dan then looked back. "Yeah." Ana answered. "Alright. This seems safe enough. We can stay here to catch our breath." He sat down on the shade of a growing tree. "Thanks." Ana sat along. V, on the other hand, climbed the tree. She rested on the branch, flat as her high caliber rifle was being hung from her back. Dan handed out the pies from his pack, one each. They nibbled in delight, not losing their focus on the dangers that may be around. They all sighed, missing their carefree lives. It all happened too fast.

           One minute, they were talking about what they'd do in case the zombie outbreak happens, only as a joke. The next, they were living it with a panic, feeling so unprepared as if none of their plans ever happened.

The three teens sat down, feeling relaxed that they've lost track of time. It had already been 15 minutes.

V flinched Dan's ear from the tree branch, luring his attention to her, looking on to the scope of her rifle. He looked to the direction, there stood a zombie in the distance. It was just watching them, not even moving, nor moaning. Dan slowly stood, grabbing his crossbow from his side. V climbed down the branch in slow motion. She held Ana by her arm and waited for Dan to take the shot. They were too open as of they just departed from the Lincoln Tunnel, naturally heading towards a wide, open road.

           "Careful, Dan." Ana whispered.

"No promises." It was too distant, not even V can make sure if it was the right shot with her sniper. They can't leave it alone, either. Besides, they weren't experts, just survivalists. "SHHCKGH!" The arrow was launched. The undead man was shot in it's fully decomposed eye. Unfortunately, the ghoul took a step back as it was attacked and the end of the arrow went right through the zombie's head. It hitted an abandoned car, setting off it's alarm. Their eyes widened when it made it's loud, beeping cry.

          "Oh shi-" Dan stopped. "Okay, run, run, run!"