Chapter 13: Rough encounter

Shelterless, restless, tired and the heat of the summer rays burning through their skin.

V knows she made the biggest mistake of her life despite her partner not telling the truth about it. So she stayed at the back. Flushed from reality and just has her eyes on the objective.

Dan and Andrew led the way as usual.

Ana, on the otherhand, was deep silent. She was lost in thought. Unlike the others, she was not caught between the fear of the undead and the worry of her companions. She was trying to stay strong. And as of the rest of the group of survivalists, she was succeeding.

                The group proceeded to migrate. 

From their observation, they can tell that Philadelphia had more survivors than New York or Jersey. They just passed a local community. The survivalists continued to wander, seeing pain and death. There was this one alley when they saw a woman, crying for her husband to survive. As they watched and hesitated to offer help, the woman threw rocks at them and told them to stay away.

               So they did.

They saw a house with a family inside, the father holding a shotgun, guarding his loved ones.

             They also gave them a menacing look when they passed.

They weren't welcome there. These people were too cautious.

The city's bright shining lights coming to a fade must have changed them.

The rest were just happy seeing the inhabitants were still alive. Barely. But alive, all the same.

"Fuck..." Andrew whispered. Ana looked up and what was seen was a horrible sight.

"Welcome to Zombie Land, everyone." Dan forced from the top of his lungs to prevent screaming.

              The last turn they made led them to a street, infested with the undead. They disturbed their little feast. The infected stared at them with the hint of unending hunger in their eyes. Pitch black irises filled with the solitude of death.

The survivalist's plan was still into play, yet does not do just as good in an unknown territory.

              Dan stepped back. So did the others. The zombies limped forward. Then another.

They watched in horror, their minds blacking out on what is to be done.

             Finally, they ran. Without the thrill of releasing their fear through their vivid screams, they all panicked. Especially Marcy who was falling behind, but doing just as well. Pain can be seen from her expressions, but minding that now was not her option. "This is not gonna happen in a daily basis, right?" V laughed.

The group sprinted. Then headed to a full stop at the block to catch their breath. Unfortunately, it was cut short for more came to join the party. 

Dan and V traded weapons. Dan was once again equipped with his crossbow. He only had a few arrows left, but more than enough to take on most.

V only accompanied the unarmed, namely Andrew and Marcy, picking off those who came too close.

As for Ana, she had her glock, but she dropped the bullets. "V!" She paused. "Any more bullets?!"

V scrambled her belt. Then found one. The last case. "There's something good coming out of hoarding these in the big NY but it only has 5 bullets. Make the most of it." V still ran.

There were two routes as they ran: The forest, or the streets.

"We'll lose them in the trees!"

"Andrew! NO!" Dan yelled, but the said man had already gone through. Some zombies had dispatched themselves after him. Others remained on pursue.

Ana dragged Marcy deeper within the forest alongside the young man.

           They soon noticed that V also disappeared.

Maybe she also chased after Andrew. Maybe she went along with him. Or maybe she herself, got lost.