introduction

disclaimer - i do not own any of the mcu plots you'll see in this book, only my own separate plot that deviates from Captain America : the First Avenger. Ronnie Hampton is also my own original character so do not even dream of taking her. 

introduction

At a young age, Veronica Hampton had learned that being a female for some reason meant that she was viewed as having lesser significance than the opposite sex. And, from the moment she had discovered this inequality between genders, she'd felt an almost obsessive need to challenge it. This obsession was often dubbed by the men she outsmarted as being an 'ugly trait' which truly only acted as fuel to the fire that was her need to succeed. Needless to say, Veronica was often ignored and probably would've crashed in her own quest for equality if not for the support of her father. 

Veronica was often thankful that her father, Edgar Hampton, was a gentleman and a scholar, and raised her to believe education was a right that everyone should have, not a privilege to some just because they were born a certain way. Evidently, there were people in the world who believed that such a right should be restricted to select genders, races, and other labels that Veronica often had to remind people had nothing to do with one's ability or desire to learn. 

However, Veronica Hampton's love for math and science and all the other things that perfectly puzzled her mind burned with a passion far to intense to let some ignorant man try to snuff it out and try to tell her she had her feminine duties elsewhere and didn't belong studying the laws of physics. It was only natural for Veronica to earn a master's in physics after being told that. 

Even with all of these people looking down on her, thinking her foolish to pursue a career no woman should go after, Veronica excelled. Her first real invention was a gadget that allowed a wearer to temporarily breath underwater and she was so proud of the invention that she had to show it of. She put in a contest under the name 'Ronnie' which was a nickname she hadn't much liked until it got her confused as a boy and accepted into the contest. Walking out onto the stage, shocking hundreds when they realized she was the one who had won the first place prize, was one of the greatest moments of her life. 

That day, she'd felt an unimaginable amount of pride from looking down amongst the shocked men who all sat frozen in astonishment (except for her father, of course, who clapped proudly and not to mention loudly the entire time she was on the stage). She'd finally gotten her chance to show that she was just as good -- no, that she was even better than all the men that constantly talked down to her and told her she had no place among scientists.

This contest didn't just serve as a pivotal moment where she got to prove her worth, but it was a moment where she was finally given the chance she deserved. After seeing a picture of a young, brilliant scientist holding the first place prize in a prestigious American science competition is what initially caught Howard Stark's eye. He'd immediately tracked down this mysteriously delightful genius that was Veronica Hampton and without even giving her gender a thought, invited her to work with him at his company. Obviously, Veronica excepted the once in a lifetime opportunity to work with the notoriously inventive millionaire who promised she'd be allowed and encouraged to pursue what every wonderfully absurd idea her creative mind could think up. 

Practically right off the bat, the pair of what some referred to as mad scientists turned into quite the dream team. Veronica proved time after time to be the missing piece Howard needed to help him figure out prestigious methods, equations, and inventions. Howard was the person Veronica needed to give her a chance and prove that her gender didn't define the jobs she deserved to be able to pursue. 

And so the Stark-Hampton crew flourished rather quickly, breaking barriers in nearly every field of science imaginable. Stark even helped Veronica further her education, which only proved to make her an even more unstoppable force of genius. From flying cars to attempting to create  superhumans, together, the two scientists dared to try to do it all. And, miraculously, they succeed in some of even their most insane inventions. Surely, their names would go down in history. 

And when they were called on by the government to use their ingenuity for the sale of the greater good, there was no doubt in either Veronica or Howard mind's that together, they could help save their country and stop the Nazi's dead in their track. 

They're only seemed to be two faults that appear in their plan to become the most madly creative inventors of their time. One was that when they crack the code to create what had the potential of being their greatest creation, the government takes him and all their hard work away before they can even celebrate. 

And the second thing? Howard Stark 'accidentally' gets Veronica Hampton stuck on nurse duty that, while she wants to hate it, ends up having the upside of meeting  a soldier who is unashamed to endlessly flirt with the scientist he believes could walk on water if she so pleased. 

lily james as veronica 'ronnie' Hampton

sebastian roche as edgar hampton

ok this is a story i have always held near and dear to my heart and tried to revamp like five times. i posted this earlier with holland roden as the face claim, and then found out how problematic she is so now we have veronica beign played by lily james who is honestly just,,, so lovely. anyways, here is the new and improved story of one of my favorite female leads, Veronica Hampton!