Chapter 39: She who can't drink

Alex's POV

I'm glad that Jayden is finally done with school. I've been an eyewitness of how much hard work she went through in order to finish on time. I have one more year to go before I can take my board exam to become an official doctor and I can't wait to get it over with.

When I'm going through a patch and I feel like giving up, what I do to get out of the funk is think of what's the end of this line.

It's exciting for me to be able to finish what I've started but what gets me more excited is the thought that Jayden will finally be mine. Mine to hold day and night, mine to cherish and protect and mine to love until the end of time.

When I called her the next day after our graduation dinner, she told me that she was going to a restaurant with her classmates to wish everyone goodbye.

Since I couldn't go, she asked Angelique to go with her. I thought it was just going to be a simple dinner.

I tried to call her around seven but she didn't pick up. I even called Mark to see if she's home but he said no. I was starting to worry.

I called Angelique's cell phone but she wasn't picking up either. By the time a got a hold of one of them it was almost 11 o'clock. Angelique hurriedly explained that one of the guys decided to continue the party at his house, more like the drinking party.

She said that Jayden got challenged to drink alcohol. I know that her next words wouldn't be something I would want to hear. I knew enough that Jayden won't back down with a challenge.

She asked me of what to do with Jayden since apparently someone spiked the punch with alcohol and dared Jayden to drink.

I was flabbergasted, Jayden can't even stomach a small amount of alcohol and she drank a whole glass? I quickly asked for the address and drove there as fast as I could.

When I got there, a guy had his arms around her. I remember him as the guy who had his arm on her shoulder one day at the university outside the cafeteria. I knew there was something fishy about him?

I approached them and Angelique saw me first. Jayden was trying to talk but her words were slurring a bit.

When she saw me, she gave a big smile and started walking towards me. I had to quickly catch her before she lands facedown on the floor.

Before anyone could say anything, I just picked her up bridal style and brought her to my car. I dropped off Angelique first and while we were driving, she wasn't talking much. She could tell by my look that I wasn't happy.

'She was just playing along with the guys, she thought she could handle it,' trying to defend her friend.

'What if you weren't there? What if she got so drunk that someone could have taken advantage of her?' my hands tightened their hold on the wheel. Trying not make a mountain out of this but I was worried.

'Just don't to be too hard on her when she wakes up in the morning. She'll feel bad enough as it is. Just let her stay with me and I'll take care of her,' she's still trying to protect her irresponsible friend.

'No, I'll take her to my house. I'll call Mark and tell him that my parents asked Jayden to stay at the guest room for the night. I just hope he won't ask too many questions,' I keep looking at Jayden. She's fast asleep next to Angelique and she looking so innocent.

I dropped her off and thank her again for calling me. I told her I'll give her an update once the little daredevil wakes up in the morning.

Luckily my parents were already asleep when we got home. As I was carrying her upstairs to the guest room, she started waking up.