C H A P T E R | 1

[Unedited]

I don't think anything was on my side. I don't think the gods were on my side, the super villains were definitely not, the freakin universe at times, and hell New York couldn't make up its mind. One minute I'm their hero, the next I'm being shot at, as if I was the one to unleashed an alien invasion upon them. I didn't ask for almost everything that accrued in my life but I definitely embraced it no matter how terrible or heart wrenching it was.

I stuck up for those who needed it. Protected those who couldn't protect themselves. Saved those who were near death and unable to save themselves. I'm there almost everyday, every moment, saving and protecting as many people as I can. Yet with these powers I'm unable to protect those I love most. I was dealt the wrong end of the deal and sometimes I just don't want to deal with it. It makes me wish I hadn't gone to Oscorp that day, or have been bitten by the spider. Makes me wish I was ordinary Peter Parker. With no special quirks or outstanding qualities that followed me everywhere I go, with the phrase my uncle used to say weighing heavily on my shoulders. 'With great power, comes great responsibility' he would say and I followed it to a tee behind my vigilante mask. It inspired me and drove me to do what I do. But as of lately, after the last bit of sanity I had was taken away, I've felt like that inspiration was the source of my pain. I wanted nothing more then to curl underneath my covers and sleep. I barely felt hungry that much anymore. I was slacking on my personal responsibilities to New York and was pretty much only able to keep my grades up in school to make it seem as if nothing was wrong. So no one would ask me if I was alright, or if I wanted to talk about it, when I know they honestly didn't care, but knew it was their job to ask. I've seemed to get pity from everyone around me, even Flash, who always prides himself in making my life miserable.

But I only smiled in appreciation when he slammed me against the lockers like he used to. Throwing insults at my face that has no meaning or rhyme to them. His face clearly hiding the fact this is what I wanted. I wanted him to act like nothing was wrong and to act it out so people would get the hint. Even when he left me with a blacken eye and bruised face, even as I slid to the ground and he walked away. He turned to look at me wondering if he had done the right thing. I stared up at him. Giving him a weak smile and nod. He gave me a equal one in return. Giving one final nod, before turning and walking away. Hitting his friends shoulders as they laughed. I sit up against the locker watching and listening to the fading group. Waiting patiently until they were out of sight to pull myself together and trudge my way to the place I'm forced to call home.

I grabbed my bag, picking up the scattered papers and books. Shoving them all into my school bag, before grabbing my skateboard; one of the remaining personal properties I owned. I slung my messenger bag strap over my head. Allowing the strap to rest in the crock of my neck and the bag resting at my side.

It wasn't a long journey 'home,' frankly it was rather short. To short in my opinion, it left no time for more thinking and the only thing I had time to think about was 'when will I go on patrol next, what homework should I do first, and when was my last full meal' my normal thoughts as of lately when on my way home.

They were basic normalities I've come to appreciate when I rode my skateboard.

It wasn't long before I pulled up to the reasonably large home. Walking in as quickly and quietly as possible, with hurried steps. Finding that everyone ignored me anyways.

I remember doing my homework, telling myself I'd be Spider-Man in the morning before going to bed. I told myself this was a risk, not because Spider-Man may be needed, or some other lame excuse I could think of to keep me awake, but because every time I closed my eyes I relive those memories. The ones I wished were buried deep down, or ones I wished were never created to begin with to save me the exasperating pain that burned deep within me.