Chapter 1

I wake up to Niya singing in the shared bathroom, in our tiny, box like apartment.

Though it's 7:00 in the morning, I hear the constant buzz of vehicles passing on the street and life going by through my window.

New York is always busy. Doesn't matter if it's 7:00 in the morning or 12 at midnight.

I get up from my queen sized bad and knock on the bathroom to let Niya know that I'm up otherwise if I leave it to her she'll spend the entire day in there getting ready.

I'm Katrina Markov or Kat, I'm 20 and I've been living in this city for 2 years now.

After spending 18 miserable years of my life in a foster system that was always a disappointment, I studied my butt of for NYU and the day I got my acceptance letter was the day I decided to never look back.

I'm a economics major and today is the first day of class for my second year at NYU. I don't want to be late my class will start at 9:00 am sharp.

I take out some clothes for the day. My black skinny jeans and my magenta sweatshirt to go with it along with my only pair of black boots. I have a job as a waitress at a restaurant nearby and I'll have to go to work immediately after college.

I work longer shifts because I've to earn money from somewhere and NYC isn't exactly cheap.(note.the.sarcasm)

"Good Morning katy", Niya greets me as she comes out of the washroom.

She looks gorgeous as ever. With her dark red straight hair and her frackles and the curves in all the right places, she's a traffic stopper. She's outgoing, larger than life and me? I'm so pathetically shy I would rather run into a wall than make eye contact with people I don't know. Sigh.

"Good Morning, Ni. You ready for classes?", I ask her while taking my clothes with me to the washroom along with my bag of toiletries.

"Don't ask Kat. Today is going to be hectic! I've classes till afternoon and then I've a night shift at the hospital.

Niya is a nursing major, she's also interning at the Cross Heart hospital.

"I'll see you tomorrow then I also have classes and work today." I go inside the washroom with that and here her muffled goodbye through the door.

I stand in front of the mirror brushing my teeth and see a girl with long dark brown wavy hair, almond brown eyes staring back at me, nothing much to see.

★THIS IS WHO I IMAGINE AS KAT★

I get ready as fast as I can, grab an apple for breakfast, lock the apartment and leave for the University

I grab coffee on my way from a small cafe nearby. My first lecture today is of International Economics. I make it to the lecture hall 10 mins early and quickly take seat in the back as all other seats are filled.

This class is full. I had planned on taking this course last semester but there was no seat available and so I'm taking it this semester. I have heard the professor teaching this course is really young and very good at this subject. Let's hope he lives up to the hype.

I've no friends in this University other than Niya. Because I'm so shy, I could never gather enough courage to initiate a conversation with anyone and the few people who have tried to talk to me gave up after my one word stuttering responses.

While I'm wallowing in self pity I hear the hall going quite and everyone standing up.

I stand up too and then I hear the sexiest voice I've heard in my life.

"Welcome to International Economics. I'm professor Xavier Alexander Marcel."

I'm not able to put a face to the incredible voice as everyone is standing and I can't see much of the front from the back because of my 5 foot 5 frame.

As soon as everyone sits down I see the most gorgeous man I've ever laid my eyes on. Dark disheveled hair sits atop a face that seems to have been sculpted by Michael Angelo himself. I can't seem to make out the color of his eyes but if his disarming face and the way his body fills out the suit he's wearing are anything to go by, I can bet they would be equally sinful.

I'm shy but I can appreciate a handsome man when I see one. And this man right is front of me is the definition of forbidden and everything beautiful I can never have.

He then scans all the rows as if memorising each face, and when his eyes connect with mine..

I. Stop. Breathing.

Please vote and comment everyone. Thank You. xx