Chapter 1

I pushed the door open and grinned as I saw my boyfriend curled up on the sofa, fast asleep. We had the same job, both of us were scientists. It was his day off though and he had been so exhausted. I had just gotten back from the lab, doing my new research.

My name is Phillip Lester, and my boyfriend is Daniel Howell. Sometimes we call ourselves Dan and Phil but that's just us, everyone else calls us by our full names. The research we had been busy on is "Parallel Universes." 

We are convinced that somewhere out there in the universe there is a planet identical to ours with the same people who lived and died but possibly different. We're working on a way to open up a wormhole and find a way into the other worlds.

Some people call us crazy and dangerous but we are well known scientists and have benefited the world greatly. Who do you think invented the hover car? Yours truly ... and Dan figured out a solution to global warming. We have been partners a long time and we split the success, as well as our relationship.

I love him to pieces and gladly the world has accepted that. Gay marriage was approved many decades ago and the world is completely fine with it ... but I haven't proposed yet. I'm thinking about it, seriously I am!

I just need the right moment! 

I grinned down at my knocked out boyfriend and picked him up bridal style, carrying him up to our bedroom. Once there, I gently placed him on the bed and snuggled up to him, having a well earned sleep.

-----

"You sure?" I asked.

"Yeah don't worry, I can handle the board on my own fine. You need to get to the lab and start putting the plans together. There's not a day to waste so I need you carry on working. I'll present the plans today and then we'll be on our way." Dan reassured, pecking my cheek fondly.

I beamed at him and gave him a passionate kiss before pulling my denim jacket on. "Alright, you've convinced me ... just get it done quickly. I don't like being at the lab without you. Drive safely." I grinned.

"You worry too much." He grinned.

"It's my job!" I smiled and pecked him one more time before rushing out the door to my car and hopping in. Obviously I got the latest build since I invented the thing but I don't like to flash it around too much. I'm not really a big headed guy and neither is Dan. We do it for the love of discovery and change.

I put it into gear and grinned as I felt the vehicle lift off the ground and waved to Dan who waved back.

With that, I drove off to the laboratory to start building the worm hole portal. When I got there I scanned my card, said hi to the receptionist and took the lift up to the top floor, our working space. We called it Hester tower ... I know, cheesy, but can you blame us?

As soon as I reached our floor I slipped my jacket off and changed into my black jumpsuit and put my goggles on. My hair was getting longer, I'd need to cut it soon.

I walked over to the half built base of the machine and set out the blue prints, scanning over bits and pieces and collecting them from boxes around the room. I took out bits I needed and started my work on piecing bits together exactly how we had set out on the blueprints. 

--- 4 hours later ---

I had the machine half finished and was screwing another bolt in when my phone went off. I checked my watch and my eyebrows raised at how late is was. Time flies. Where was Dan?Shouldn't he have been there two hours ago?

I took my gloves off and removed my goggles, then picked up my white band mobile device. I slipped it on my other wrist and pressed the blue button. I didn't wear it whilst working in case it got damaged. We got rid of mobiles a long time ago.