• 2 •

[ A/N: Trying to focus on making honorifics play somewhat of a role in my stories so please tell me if I got something wrong, I'm not entirely familiar with the concept just yet ^3^; I'm actually really excited to continue this book because of how positively you wonderful sinners have responded to it >w< So enjoy~! ]

It was late afternoon and students were exiting the school campus once again. You stood in front of your shoe locker, speaking on your phone. "... no, I understand... don't worry about me, I'll get home just fine... be safe, bye." Riku noticed your conversation from afar and spoke up just as you hung up, placing your phone in your pocket and taking out your shoes. "Is everything alright, [F/N]-chan?" You quickly turned to face him, having not noticed him approach. "Oh, R-Riku-kun...!" You stuttered, still not yet used to calling him by his first name. A small shiver went down his spine as Riku heard his name come from your lips. It felt... nice. Different but good.

"Yeah, everything's alright." You smiled reassuringly as you slipped on your normal shoes and placed the indoor ones inside the locker. "My mother is just working late today so she can't pick me up." You picked up your book bag and headed out, grabbing your umbrella from the rack along the way. Riku noticed that it had a cute ghost charm attached to the handle. He followed you as you left the building, offering to walk with you which you gladly accepted when he explained that he lived nearby. "That's wonderful!" You had chirped, glad that your new friend lived so close to you.

The streets were strangely empty as the two of you walked in silence. Occasionally person would pass the opposite direction or from behind you, but that was about it. A light breeze played with the strands of your hair, causing it to reflect the sun's light perfectly. Riku found himself wanting to run his hands through your [H/C] locks, just to feel them between his fingers. They were probably just as soft as they looked, maybe even softer.

"Oh...!" You suddenly made a small noise, as if you had remembered something, "Since my mother isn't home today I'll have to prepare dinner... I-is it alright if we head to the grocery store really quickly...?" You asked tentatively, as if afraid to bother him more than you already have. Riku nodded, and you smiled gratefully, "Thank you, Riku-kun!" You took a right instead of a left on a crossroads, now headed towards the local supermarket and away from your apartment complex.

You hummed lightly in thought as your eyes glanced over the vegetables section, trying to figure out what you needed. Deciding to get some lettuce and onions, you picked up a packet of tofu and a slice of fish from a different section as well. The rest of the ingredients were already at home. Riku had followed silently behind you, inputting his opinion on anything you requested whether it be the quality of a brand or the ripeness of a fruit. "What do you think of this one?" You asked, holding up a set of green bananas. "They look good." Riku had replied, however you seemed dissatisfied with his answer. "Liar," you huffed cutely, placing your hands on your hips in a playful, scolding manner before picking up and examining a different bunch.

'She could tell...' Usually people could never tell whether he was lying or telling the truth. It was how he could get out of trouble at times. The people he interacted with wouldn't be able to tell if he was genuine or not, thus having no choice but to trust him because they could not find evidence suggesting otherwise. "I'll get these." You declared, having decided to get a box of strawberries instead. They were in season. Oh... those are his favorite... but you didn't know that. You placed them in your bag along with the other ingredients before heading off towards the cashier.

As you were checking out, the clerk had made cheerful, light conversation. "I think it's rather nice that your boyfriend offered to go grocery shopping with you~" Your face immediately erupted in a heavy blush as you stared at her in shock. "E-eh?! N-no, we aren't-... w-we aren't together..." you muttered, head hung down in embarrassment. The cashier seemed unfazed by your comment and rather, pushed on. "Really? The two of you would make a rather cute couple~" she teased while placing your groceries in a plastic bag, winking.

You quickly payed for the groceries and uttered a quick "thank you" before practically rushing out of the door with Riku behind you, his long legs letting him catch up to you easily. "Are you alright, [F/N]-chan?" he asked, noticing your heated face. "Y-yeah, I'm fine," you sighed, placing your hands over your cheeks. The two of you no longer spoke about the incident and you changed the subject.

"What do you plan to have for dinner, Riku-kun?"you asked out of curiosity. "I think I have some left-over ramen in my fridge..." he replied, placing his hand on his chin as if he wasn't quite sure. "You don't seem very certain..." you muttered worriedly, glancing over at him who seemed rather nonchalant about it. "I'm not that hungry, so it's alright." Your concern grew for the boy, afraid that he may be starving himself. "No, you shouldn't treat your body like that, Riku-kun." He tried to assure you that he was fine but you were persistent. "At least let me cook dinner for you tonight!" You offered. It would at least give you peace of mind that he had eaten at least one proper meal for the day.

You absolutely beamed with happiness when he finally accepted, now pondering on what to cook for him. You would occasionally look inside your bag to see if you had the necessary ingredients to make your idea, coming up with ways to compromise yet still preserve the original dish.

With every little action you did, Riku seemed to become more and more intrigued by you. Your kindness seemed to hold no bounds. Cooking dinner for someone you only met a couple days ago was a dangerous thing to do, let alone trusting them in your house alone. He found himself worrying for your safety. Of course he would never do anything to harm you but what if other men were to take advantage of your kindness, tainting your pure soul with their dirty hands. The thought of other men even thinking of doing such filthy things to you, it angered him. His hand balled into a tight fist that made his knuckles turn white. But he composed himself, the thought of you fearing him overcoming his anger. Instead, being replaced with anxiousness, fear that you would become afraid of him. He didn't want that.

"Well, here we are...!" You announced, standing in front of a small but decent-looking apartment building. Riku followed you inside, discretely memorizing the combination you put in the door. You entered your apartment and took your shoes off, allowing Riku to follow you into your kitchen. You got him a glass of water and he watched as you worked around the kitchen. You seemed to know to the location of everything. It was clear that cooking was a passion of yours.

"Tada~!" You chimed, placing a tray of food in front of Riku and filling a cup of tea for him. You had your own set that you placed next to his and sat down beside him. You pressed your hands together in front of you and chirped, "Thank you for the food!" before starting to eat. Taking a bite, Riku noticed that... it tasted rather good. He must have visibly seemed brighter because he heard you laugh, "I'm glad you like it!"

Her laugh. It felt so warming to hear it, as if it could melt a solid block of ice. It was so pure and genuine while the only laughs Riku had ever gotten before where rough, uncomfortable ones from those who could not understand him. But it was obvious to him now that you could, that you did. You could see something that others thought weren't there, that even he thought wasn't there. Perhaps you could see this in everyone, but he felt special non-the-less. The two of you continued to eat in comfortable silence.

- - - -

"Be safe on your way home, Riku-kun," you warned as he prepared to leave. "Are you sure I can't stay to help with the cleaning up?" He asked and you laughed again. The same laugh that made his heart jump in his chest, "I'll be fine. Thank you for worrying." With that, he left and you waved him off, making sure he got out okay. "I'll see you tomorrow!" You called down to him from your balcony window. Though he looked a bit smaller, Riku seemed to look up and wave back before heading off down the street, disappearing behind a building. You got to work cleaning up for the night before completing your school work and heading to bed.

[ A/N: Two long chapters in one weekend? I must be crazy! ;u; Sorry, I was just really excited about this book, I don't know why >//w//< I hope you sinners enjoyed this and I'll see you next chapter! ]