Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Ava-

While Milo, Paxton, and Seth went to scout the scene of the incident that occurred yesterday, Cassie and I were given a request through some kid that Reston wanted to speak with us. Why he had to be dramatic and have someone pass along the message, I had no idea. It wasn't that difficult to walk twenty or so feet to talk to us. So Cassie and I bundled up in coats and dared the cold to go into the lodge where we assumed Reston would be. The messenger girl wasn't the best at giving messages, all she had done was simply say, "Reston wants you" and then left! We were given no location or time. It was up to us to find him and hope that he wanted to speak to us now.

The outside was mostly abandoned and honestly, I wasn't very impressed with the camp. It was pretty and in a nice location but the people weren't very friendly and they all seemed to disappear when there wasn't any food to be given out. What was the camp supposed to be? A place to train your abilities and gain control? If so, I didn't see anyone training and I hadn't of seen any powers. They all seemed to be normal humans hanging out in the woods. Maybe Cassie and I were insane and this was a camp that our parents sent us to so we could connect with nature and clear our minds. Or maybe it was simply a boring camp.

When we got inside the lodge, there were three teenage guys playing on an XBox, they yelled at one another and paid more attention to the tv than anything else. I was pretty sure that if I put a squirrel on one of their heads that they wouldn't notice until it had already started nibbling on their hair.

Cassie and I walked past them and continued to the hall that we knew. If we didn't find Reston, we would hopefully find Jason and could talk to him until we did found the man in charge. Our snow covered boots left puddles of slush behind us, if we were lucky someone would slip. If we were unlucky, that person would be Reston himself.

Cassie didn't pause when we reached the infirmary door, she turned the knob and shouldered her way through the old door. I followed more gracefully and stepped in right behind her. Jason was awake fortunately and was sitting up with a book in his lap. A bowl of warm soup sat on the table beside him and a glass of water was filled to the top. Both looked undisturbed and I wondered if he had eaten anything or even acknowledged it was there.

At the sound of us, Jason looked up. A grin crossed his face and a hint of pain glanced in his eye. "How are you two adjusting?" He asked kindly, closing the book and using a finger to keep his page.

I sat down in one of the chairs left by his bed and after a moment Cassie joined me. "Eh, we're fine I guess. It isn't very exciting currently and we were supposed to find Reston but we have no idea where he is." I said with a shrug. Cassie nodded her agreement.

Jason sighed and bit his lip and then sat himself up higher. "And I am in bed-rest and would much rather be up and out of here." He replied.

"Sorry that a vampire almost got you and destroyed your car." Said Cassie.

Jason looked at her with his eyebrows furrowed and then chuckled, "sorry I left you to fight on your own."

"If I could, I would punch you in the arm but I don't want to cause you another bruise." Cassie responded with another shrug.

"Thank you for not punching me. And Ava how are you? Keana updated me and said that Cas was healed and you and her had gotten here safely." Jason said, turning his blue gaze on me. I nodded, "yeah we got here fine. She was completely silent and wouldn't speak to me so that's awesome. I just love it when people hate me after a few days." I retorted, once I had begun to speak the words I couldn't keep them in and they just kind of flowed on their own.