The Race of a Lifetime

Her heart was racing. She has been preparing for this moment; it was the beginning of the end.

That is, the end of this car racing season, of course.

Alix Kubdel, otherwise known as 'The Timebreaker,' is a world class champion in racing, and no one knows her secret as to how she revs up her engines to give out incredible speed. The nickname only describes how her speeds have been legendary, nearly impossible to outnumber. She's been on the top of the charts for years now, no faltering in her perfect record, at least for the time being.

The one threat to this streak was a newbie, a mere rookie. However, his newfound skills prove that he is more than just a one race wonder.

Kim Le Chien. People know him as The Dark Cupid, he breaks hearts as he steals the race, always speeding to the win at the last possible second. His name became known just this year, and he gives no justice to opponents. He also breaks hearts in the love department; the girls swoon over him, but he always says he has another special someone on his mind.

"Alright racers, its Ladybug here! Start preparing your cars on the track! Times are ticking!" The announcer under the alias 'Ladybug' spoke from the box. Little did the audience and racers know that she was sitting at her desk, head resting in her palm, and staring at a reporter, Adrien Agreste, who would also blush at the sound of her voice. He was one of the faces of the Hawk Moth stadium, always working with the racers to get the latest content for the press for his father.

He always wondered why the girl would hide behind the mask.

"Yo, Adrien?" His thoughts were interrupted by a friend of his, Nino Lahiffe. "I think it's time, just go up to the champions and try to spark up some news. I heard that there's drama between Timebreaker and Dark Cupid, and I think your father would be satisfied with some of that juicy gossip." Nino and Adrien we're known as the main partners for the Agreste magazine line's racing column, and they never seized to impress Gabriel, the man behind it all.

"Thanks, Nino." Adrien sighed.

"No prob man, just remember to stay undercover!" They patted each other's backs before Adrien ran up to the racers, who still had another five minutes or so left of preparation time.

Leaning against her car, Alix was then approached by the blonde reporter who wore dark sunglasses. "Can I help you?" She inquired, then tucking a small watch like item into the pocket of her jacket.

"Of course, Timebreaker, isn't it? You can call me Chat Noir. I was here to ask you about your opinions on the other racers." He smirked at the sight of her slightly flustered actions as her knees loosened slightly as she looked down the line.

"Well, Mr. Noir, Im excited that I get to race some new competitors!" She smiled, blushing the slightest bit.

"Anyone in specific?"

"Heh," she looked down, "I'd thought you would have asked that." She chuckled.

"Well?"

"Kim, the Dark Cupid dude. I've heard that he's pretty fast."

"Fast enough to defeat the queen of the tracks, as they call you?"

"There's only one way to find out." She tipped her hat and made her way in her car, slouching back for the time being.

Satisfied, Chat made his way to the most proximal racer next to Alix, and it was none other than the cupid himself. "Excited for championships, Mr. Cupid?"

"Sure thing, it's my first time here, so I'm going to try to make an impression." Kim smirked, looking in his main opponent's direction.

"I see. How do you think you're going to hold up against the six year champion, the queen, the Timebreaker?"

"Good question, but I can't say I know an answer. My tech, Max, says he's calculated our top speeds and acceleration timings, and they're too close to compare."

"Are you excited to go against the legend herself?"

Kim waited for a moment and gave out a genuine smile. "Definitely."

"Racers, get in your vehicles and assume your positions!" Ladybug announced.

Just as Kim was about to get into his car, he was approached by an an all too familiar pink haired girl. "Hm, I thought you were already in your car." Kim turned to be face to face with Alix.

"Well, I couldn't bear to start the race without properly greeting my main competitor."

"Good luck then." A grin crept up his face as they shook hands.

"It's on, loverboy." Alix yelped on her way back to her car, and the race was about to begin.

"It is now the moment of a lifetime. Racers, on your marks..." Ladybug announced, the audience on the edges of their seats.

Alix took in a deep breath and looked in her driver's side mirror to take a view of Kim. He noticed this, and lifted an eyebrow.

"Get set..."

Each of the racers repositioned their helmets and clutched the wheels. The intensity was so thick that it could be cut with a knife.

"Go!"

The race began with a bang; the mysterious man known to own the stadium wearing silver sunglasses and waving a checkered flag with the words 'Hawk Moth Stadium' embroidered upon it.

Dark Cupid and Timebreaker were neck and neck for the whole duration of the race, each spending what seemed like an equal total time in first place. The other racers were a decent distance behind, so they were the least of everyone's worries.

Alix panted as the temperature in the vehicle increased, trickles of sweat trailing down her face to barely cool her down.

Kim's brain was going haywire; he had raced in all of the local competitions, against some of the best, but none of then compared to the one and only Alix Kubdel. It only attracted him to her more...

No.

This was serious business, dangerous in fact. If he did not keep all attention on the road in front of him, he could drift off the track at any moment and lose his chances of ever winning.

"Final lap for Timebreaker and Dark Cupid! This is one of the closest races in history, everyone!" Ladybug, as well as the rest of the audience, was on the edge of her seat as the racers approached the finish line.

"Now's the time, Kim." Max spoke into Kim's headset, indicating that it was the prime moment to use his signature trick; speeding up the perfect amount to overtake his opponents for the win. However, he had his own trick in mind.

After waiting a few seconds, contrary to Max's pleads, Kim accelerated, and the race was a photo finish. The entire stadium was dead silent before breaking into cheers.

"Okay everyone! The race is now complete and I can tell you for certain that Antibug was indeed in last place." This earned laughs from the audience, but growls from Chloe Bourgeois: the Antibug herself.

"And from my knowledge, the winner was... a tie?"

The audience began muttering and asking eachother questions. By this time, Kim and Alix were already leaned against the latter's car, his arm slung over her shoulder.

"For the first time in twenty four years, we do, indeed, have a tie! Congratulations to both the Timebreaker and Dark Cupid!" The audience roared and Alix looked up at Kim.

"I guess we won't know who's truly better for a while." She smirked.

"But maybe it's for the best." Kim lowered his head as they shared a tender kiss.

END

Short and sweet, but I hope you liked it :p